Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:11 pm 

Every bike I had before the Hornet was losing low rpm torque after changing the can for an aftermarket one...

I asked my mechanic about it and he said ''stock cans have a balance of power through the entire rpm band (low rpm torque = high rpm horsepower),aftermarket cans favor high rpm horsepower while sacrificing low rpm torque (low rpm torque < high rpm horsepower)...YOU CANT HAVE BOTH'' :puke

I am trying to understand how is this happening...are the exhaust gasses that meet resistance on their way out affecting engine performance negatively on some rpms and positively on others?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:49 am 
True Horneteer

There is a lot of dispute around this subject and I'm not (by any stretch of the imagination :angel ) an expert on fueling and exhaust systems - but I think it's to do with loss of back pressure - after market cans tend to have less back pressure - the exhaust gases flow faster in most after-market cans - which is good for power at the upper rev range but decreases torque at lower rpm; the explanation being that less compression is lost through the exhaust valve on the stock can (due to slower exhaust gas flow rate which equals increased back pressure) during the intake stroke, when the ratio of intake to exhaust gases is at it's highest - so there is more compression/power/torque available at lower revs when running the stock can.

I've not put an after-market can on my Hornet yet so I can't say if it has had a bad effect on low rpm torque or not but I have got an after market can on my CBR and can't say I have noticed any difference in power delivery in day to day riding - I'm pleased I fitted it though - it's a hell of a lot lighter than the stock can and looks and sounds a lot better too.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:37 am 

I changed my exhaust, also got a high flow air filter, and got it dyno tuned - new jets installed, net result was 4 more HP and better power curve in the mid range.
I was at the tuners when this all happened, can't argue with the results I saw

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:19 am 

edgelett wrote:
I changed my exhaust, also got a high flow air filter, and got it dyno tuned - new jets installed, net result was 4 more HP and better power curve in the mid range.
I was at the tuners when this all happened, can't argue with the results I saw

can you share which exhaust can,filter and jets you installed?

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat