Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:37 pm 
Knob Magnet

richard pitman wrote:
Lovely job, quite a few coats of lacquer there ?

It has been buffed since the photos were taken, picking it up tomorrow :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:08 pm 
Knob Magnet

got the body work back, had just finished buffing it (oh er misses)

got home and re built the tail piece and fitted all the nice blingy body work

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:27 pm 
True Horneteer

It's looking totally ace Steve.

Did you design the colour scheme yourself or is it based on an original 'old school' colour scheme?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 pm 
Knob Magnet

Cheers Hoon,

paint is a bastardisation of the BS No1 and original old skook paint

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 am 
Victor Meldrew

Looks great.

Red and black, my favourite colours ...

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 am 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Superb as always.............but wasted on an old Suzuki :angel

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm 
Knob Magnet

woodyeee wrote:
Superb as always.............but wasted on an old Suzuki :angel

:lol

Yesterday went out and got myself some oil and a filter, filled her up with a remote reservoir , checked there were no leaks, and then turned her over on the starter to get some oil where it was needed,

noticed that oil pressure light wouldnt go out!!! but was sure oil was being pumped as i had to re fill rhe sump after oil had filled the new filter and oil cooler!!

then made the first attempt at a start up since she has been built.

coughed a bit fired up on the centre two pots, but oil light still lit, so stopped her.

did a bit more playing around ( changed oil pressure switch) but Oil light never went out.

today went for the oil problem from the start, started by taking the sump off to make sure i hadn't forgotten to put anything back on the re build, everything that should be there was!

put that all back together, then took the clutch out so i could get to the oil pump (or i thought i could) seems that Suzuki dont design engines as well as Hodna,  coz the oil pump isnt open to joe public unless you fancy doing a full engine strip FFS.

so whilst i had the clutch out and access to the pump drive sprocket i cam upon the brilliant idea of running the oil pump up to speed with a power drill to check function of said device.

quickly made a bracket with two studs to fit in the sprocket holes, went to work with the drill..........................................Result  Oil squirted everywhere= pump working. but oil light still stayed on!

so with the knowledge that the pump was working well i set around looking at the wiring from the harness to the pressure switch, disconnected the  pressure switch at the first wire join, light still on, so must have a short somewhere in the harness.

gave up for the night knowing i will have a great days electrickery tomorrow, but happy with the pump.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:32 pm 
Knob Magnet

it is now sorted :angel , appears that it does help if your not a complete @#%$ when it comes to wiring and electrikery!!

was a simple fix in the end, unwrap the main harness, followed the wire to the connector block, then find that i have inserted the wire into the wrong hole in the multi block connector, thus giving it

an un switched earth allowing the light to stay on.

once re connected to the correct earth wire all is good and oil pressure warning light now goes out after 1 to 2 sec of cranking the engine over on the starter.

smile on face now returned, on to the lack of outside cylinders this afternoon :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 pm 
Knob Magnet

well after pissing around with the coil loom all i could get is the odd back fire!! even changed the CDI box over, going to go back to basics tomorrow, remove the stick coils and re fit the OEM coils to see what happens. might just bite the bullet and get some new plugs whilst im at it, both engines i have are fitted with iridium plugs, no idea of how old they are, so new normal plugs might be the way to go.

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:57 pm 
Knob Magnet

well fitted new plugs, gave it a try still only firing on two centre pots!! swapped out one of the outside sticks, tried again and got her running on three :)
will have a go later on with the stock Bandit 6 coils and see what happens, but seem to be moving forwards.

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am 
Knob Magnet

last night i swapped back over to the stock bandit coils and still only had her firing on three! has got a spark at the plug,

but not firing on No1 cylinder. might have to examine the carbs next or do a compression test on that cylinder if i can borrow a tester

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:49 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
brilliant idea of running the oil pump up to speed with a power drill

This is something I've taken to doing on my CB175 and Cb200 engine builds. Cordless drill ( in reverse ) on the stator retaining bolt ( left side of crankshaft ), spark plugs out, spin the engine until oil appears up at the top end of the engine.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:14 pm 
Knob Magnet

works a real treat Richard, but not recommended with all the engine cases off :Bang

called in at Halfords on the way home, got myself a compression tester, so now there is no guess work about compression.
did all four pots, 15psi difference between all four, cylinder that wont fire is best at 150psi cold, so not a lack of compression there then!
checked carb bowl, that is holding fuel,
No4 plug has a spark, and No1 pot runs fine off same coil.
will have to take the filter off and try some cold start to see what happens, but everything is pointing to a carb strip being in order :(

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 pm 
Knob Magnet

been round to Taff's to collect the rear indicator extenders that i will need to fit so the rear set of indies comply with
the required spacing to pass MSVA (300mm), no probs with the front as they are exactly the correct spacing (240mm)
will be a quick job to remove them afterwards :evil
also got him to knock up a couple of tank rubber mount spacers whilst he was at it.
last job he has been asked to do is make a banjo bolt with a filter fitment on for holding the fuel outlet onto the tank, so i dont require an inline filter fitting.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:59 pm 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

You should set up as a limited company Steve.........you would get tax relief on Taff :lol

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:38 pm 
Knob Magnet

woodyeee wrote:
You should set up as a limited company Steve.........you would get tax relief on Taff :lol

:clap :clap :angel

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 pm 
Knob Magnet

tried some more with the GSX600F carbs, still only firing on 3,  but started to overflow again!! so having discussed swapping them for stock b6, thats what

i have started to do.

got the B6 carbs,  striped them down, checked them out and gave them a good clean and wash.

then once everything was good and dry I reassembled them ready to fit tomorrow

got the indicator extenders back from taff,  just need a slight bit of adjusting to get the indicator sitting flush.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:00 pm 
Knob Magnet

well what a day it turned into!!!

started off with the freshly re built carbs, having learnt my lesson from the last set of carbs, i placed them into a bowl before connecting a fuel supply.

first thing they did was dump fuel out of the breathers FFS.

so, back apart, couldnt see anything wrong, so back together again, re tried with fuel, same result!!

after the third attempt things seemed to work and fuel stopped  coming from carbs, so i left the carbs full of fuel sat in the bowl and went to take my dog out for a walk.

came back and carbs were still full and no overflow,  thinking all was well i fitted the carbs to the bike, connected the fuel................. you guessed it, fuel everywhere.

so back off, stripped down again, and re think.

fuel seemed to be coming from No4 carb first every time, so i checked the float heights again, still spot on at 17mm, fuel needle seemed good, but as i had a set of carbs on the bench i took one from them and replaced it.

carb back in bowl, fuel connected and this time no overflow

gave them a shake and tilt test, still no discharge. all looked good.

got them back on the bike for what seemed like the hundredth time, as i had changed to different carbs the choke and throttle cables didnt fit, so i would have to do everything by hand on the carbs for start up attempt No1.

attempt met with no real attempt to start and the odd backfire, bollacks.

checked a few things out, all looked good, attempt 2 came to the same result!

now i knew that not much had changed besides the carbs, so it was time to check everything over bit at a time.

after a few minuets i found that when i had been playing around with coil contacts I must have been a bit ruff and pulled a wire joint on the coil earth wire.

quick re join, and attempt 3 met with a growl and ALL four pots firing, was i ever pleased

that was enough work on the engine for today, well i had a smile on my face so wanted to keep it there.

i did manage to get a little bit more done, i sorted and fitted the indicator spacers for the rear indies

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:04 am 
True Horneteer

Great that you got it sorted all on Sunday, otherwise it would probably have been bugging you all week. :D

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:41 am 
Knob Magnet

got the new throttle/choke cable bits through from Venhill yesterday, great fast service as usual, so
i can now build the required extra length cables.
got Taff doing a bit of work to a banjo bolt for the fuel outlet, so i can fit an "in tank" fuel filter rather than have
an "in-line" one as was fitted.

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:39 pm 
Knob Magnet

once the shed had warmed up to mild winter rather than sub arctic i set about getting some work done

sorted the throttle cables and choke cable, now done and working great.

then set about fitting the speed censer for the Motogadget dash, i made up a bracket that would bolt to the rear caliper using one of the caliper mounting bolts, i

used the disc bolts as the targets.

once it was mounted i had to join the wires, so using the 3 way connectors i had purchased from the States earlier in the year, i got it all joined with the help of some heat shrink.

shortened the rear indicator wires and added some 2 way connectors, once it was all good i finished it off with some spiral rap to keep it all looking neat & tidy.

the end of the tunnel is now in sight

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 pm 
Knob Magnet

pics of bits done.

sorted wiring to tail unit

then mounted speed censer with temp steel bracket as a pattern, will get an alloy bracket made to keep it from looking "getto"

then joined censer wire behind side panel. also still to do a bit of tiding up of the wires yet.

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:37 pm 
Knob Magnet

small list of things to do before booking the MSVA test

1) fit tell tale lamp for h/lamp (will use "warning" lamp on dash)

2) Stamp DVLA supplied VIN number on frame

3) check Exhaust has correct markings and support brackets are secure. 

4) fit new front indicator, one fitted has a short to one of the LED's, which makes it indicate when the other side is operating.

5) fit mirrors

6) fit seat with pillion strap

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:46 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Indicator repeater lamp wiring.

This may or may not be relevant to your bike, but it's one that caught me out.

On old Hondas, the dashboard repeater lamp is wired across the two indicator circuits ie 'live' wire to one side, 'earth' to other.

With conventional bulbs this doesn't matter, current flows either way, and lamp illuminates regardless of which indicator side is flashing.

If you fit LED indicators and leave a conventional bulb in the repeater, all the indicators come on, but don't flash.

If you fit an LED bulb into the repeater position, indicators work correctly ( with appropriate flasher unit), but repeater only works on one side, as LEDs are polarity sensitive.

Solution, LED repeater, with a diode in each wire to the left and right indicator circuits, this wire then joined and connected to positive leg of LED. It would have saved me a lot of head scratching if I'd googled this first. :Bang

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 pm 
Knob Magnet

Richard, the indicators are working correctly, except for one of the ten LED's in the right hand front indi!!!!
all the rest of the nine light when they should, just one flashes on its own when the left hand indi is working!
all i can think is it has been soldered in badly/wrong.
not much of a bother though as the full set cost just over £10 :rollin so i have ordered an other set, which means i will have 3 spares :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:53 pm 
Knob Magnet

370steve wrote:
small list of things to do before booking the MSVA test

1) fit tell tale lamp for h/lamp (will use "warning" lamp on dash)

2) Stamp DVLA supplied VIN number on frame

3) check Exhaust has correct markings and support brackets are secure. 

4) fit new front indicator, one fitted has a short to one of the LED's, which makes it indicate when the other side is operating.

5) fit mirrors

6) fit seat with pillion strap

actually managed to get some of the bits sorted today

1) stamped DVLA supplied VIN Number on to frame.

2) fitted new front indicator, all working as it should do now.

3) fitted seat

4) checked exhaust

started bike up and warmed her up, adjusted pilot screws, now idling ok, but hunting, so carbs defo need balancing before check. 

also found out that side stand switch isnt stopping bike starting up with side stand down! will also have to get that sorted ASP ( not had a play to see if it shuts the bike down if in gear yet)

PS Just had a quick play and yes it is working  shuts engine down if you put bike into gear with side stand down, also shuts engine down if sat with bike in gear and clutch pulled in when stand is lowered.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:33 pm 
Knob Magnet

got the banjo bolt modified fuel filter for the tank outlet from Taff, looks good

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 pm 
Knob Magnet

got the head lamp tell tail lamp sorted, fitted one mirror, but will need a separate mirror adaptor bracket to fit the front brake caliper, as it is off of

a Kwak 1400 which has a fairing with mirrors, so no mirror fitments on bars.

wont take much to sort.

ordered some Ti rear disc bolts.

just a case of getting the carbs balanced,  then get it booked in for an MSVA test :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:09 pm 
Knob Magnet

got the Ti rear disc bolts fitted, finished playing around with the speedo censer bracket, did a design drawing with dimensions of what i am in need of, then went round

to see Taff and work out what i need and what he can do for me, left him too it.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 pm 
Knob Magnet

got the newly made speedo censer bracket back from Taff, great job once again.

will need to get 4mm removed from one face to allow the censer to get closer to the disc surface.

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:26 pm 
Knob Magnet

fitted the tank fuel take off plate and banjo filter to tank where the stock fuel tap used to be. made sure everything went back together as it should.

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:07 pm 
Knob Magnet

got the speedo censer bracket back from small adjustment, now fits perfect, censer is spot on for clearance and works great on disc webs.

sorted out the mirror attachment for the right hand mirror, bracket for the front brake res now held in place by the mirror mount and mirror.

on with sorting the fuel tap next, only need to make a small mounting bracket to mount it into the front of the shock mounting plate.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 pm 
Knob Magnet

went to work on fitting a fuel tap, as the stock tap wont fit as it will hit the carb filters, i made the desision to fit it sort of how i had the one on the 1157.

but this time i would use the new suspension plate as a mounting platform. this required making a new mounting bracket to bolt to the suspension plate.

started off with making the top mounting plate.

then a back plate to bolt it to the main plate

test fit of mounting plate, will need a small amount of metal removed from top rear to clear cross bar.

then test fit of fuel tap, happy with it for now, will remove some metal and give it a clean up tomorrow.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 pm 
Knob Magnet

as mentioned last night I sorted out the fuel tap mounting bracket, removed a small amount of metal from the top rear, so the bracket is clear of the strengthener bar.

then got the files out and cleaned it all up and removed any ruff bits.

thinking of getting it grit blasted to go with the rest of the plate, i know it is a bit overkill for a tap bracket, but i like to keep my hand in with my "bench fitting" skills.

might get the tap grit blasted to get it cleaned and keep it all matching :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:35 pm 
Knob Magnet

put all the fuel tap and hoses in place after balancing the carbs with a remote fuel feed. running nice now, a lot smoother.

needs to be taken out for a test run and set up properly, but for now is all but done and ready for MSVA test booking

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:20 pm 
Knob Magnet

Done very little since last post.
Still Waiting for Avril to get her Licence, She has now moved to a different Training School as the last one wasnt getting her anywhere. She is much happier with the new place, so things should start to move along.
I have got the paperwork done for the MSVA, but just waiting for a spare bit of cash to pay for it before booking.
I have also managed to get the garage round the corner to sign and stamp the "proof of VIN number stamping" form,
Still need to fill in the "built up vehicle" report and then sort the Registration application as well as getting an MOT done, but slowly slowly we is getting there.

370Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section