Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: project RETRO
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 pm 
Knob Magnet

bloody typical, go down the shops for 20mins, get home and find "sorry we missed you" card sat at the front door when i got back, checked tracking No, it was my switches FFS, now i have to wait 24hrs and go collect them from the depot tomorrow in person!!!

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:06 pm 
Victor Meldrew

It's a bugger when that happens.

We used to have a ninja postie who could get one of those cards through the letterbox without either of us or the dogs hearing. Wife went after him once, caught up with him at his van, turned out he hadn't even got the parcel with him, must have written the card before he set out, can't see how else that would have worked.

That said, current postie is brilliant, signs for stuff himself, opens door and leaves it in front porch.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:30 pm 
Knob Magnet

went to post office and recovered my switches, great quality bits of kit from first look over.

did the obligatory test fit, well happy.

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:49 pm 
True Horneteer

370steve wrote:
bloody typical, go down the shops for 20mins, get home and find "sorry we missed you" card sat at the front door when i got back, checked tracking No, it was my switches FFS, now i have to wait 24hrs and go collect them from the depot tomorrow in person!!!

:angel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0oRGHGyzuM

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:01 pm 
Knob Magnet

:clap :clap yep, that just about covers it :Bad

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:51 pm 
Knob Magnet

set about getting the M-button installed in the bars, needed to drill a few small holes and a slightly larger one for the wires to exit down into the top yoke.

all seems to have gone to plan, finished off getting the double button for horn/start fitted.

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm 
Knob Magnet

in line with the new uncluttered look at the front end, I have just come up with a cunning plan to loose more unwanted metal.

I am going to alter the front headlamp mountings, thus loosing the fork leg clamps between the top and bottom yoke,  along the lines of how Honda

mounted the h/lamp on the Hornet.

will do some measuring tonight :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 am 
Knob Magnet

all new handlebar buttons now fitted and working,  mizu-p25 connector block pins arrived yesterday, @#%$ me they'r small, had a play around with the pins and crimping tool

first to make sure that i could crimp them properly before having a go at it for real and screwing them up, all worked ok
got connector fitted and removed headlamp so i can measure up for new headlamp bracket, it is going to be made out of alloy bar and use

the existing alloy side mounts, just need to draw up a plan and get it off to Taff for his approval. 

found that having the dry break connectors on the brake/clutch lines has been a god send, as far as working on the handlebars, have had no fuss or bother removing/re fitting the master cylinders multiple times whilst working on the wires and bars. I say money well spent.

throttle housing and twist grip sorted, i have managed to find a "close" cable that fits at both ends, but might need to build an "open" throttle cable before getting it back together.

I still need to get the tank and tail piece down to the paint shop ( Pro Kustom Paint) for Arnie to do some touch up magic on all the damage i have

inflicted on his hard work. I will try to drop it off with him when i pass on the way down to Racefit first weekend in Feb, kill two birds with one stone.

then as the fuel filler cap assembly will have been removed from the tank i will have no excuse but to get it into the anodizers for a coat of black goodness.

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 pm 
Knob Magnet

few pics of where i am up to with wiring, now sorted and covered, as far as i can test at the moment, it is all functional  
new waterproof connector for M-button wires from handlebars.

under seat area sorted and tidy

M-lock now bolted in place.

handlebars clean and tidy, front are awaiting new h/lamp mount (now in the hands of Taff) 

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:04 pm 
Knob Magnet

Just spent more than the annual budget of a small African nation, on a new head gasket, oil seals and valve stem seals!!!!!!!
@#%$ me you would think they were made out of platinum or some other very rare unobtainium metal FFS

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 pm 
Knob Magnet

throttle cable bits came in from Venhill this afternoon, played around with fitments to get the best cable run, think i have found

where it is all going to sit for best run and neatness.

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:23 am 
Knob Magnet

I have now received the new head gasket and oil seals through the post, just awaiting some more cable bits from Venhill.

should be able to start on removing the head and sorting the valve stem oil seals some time over the weekend.

sorted out inserting the Motogadget glass "key" into one of my gloves, i have mounted it into the padding on one of the upper finger joints.

seems to work ok, needs to be moved around over the receiver a bit before it registered sometimes! but it works, not as well as the key fob, but it does its job.

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:10 pm 
True Horneteer

Coming along nicely :clap

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:56 pm 
Knob Magnet

didnt do much this weekend as i have had other things to do, but one thing i did do was swap the 90deg bends for the throttle cables

on the carbs for some 45deg ones, much happier with the cable run over the cam cover with them.

will make up the cables now i am happy with the fittings.

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 pm 
Knob Magnet

cut and soldered the throttle cables, all sat nice and clean, works a treat.

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Soldering control cables.

I was sat on the bog reading Classic Bikes this evebing, came across an article in the workshop section at the back which mentioned how useful solder pots were when soldering nipples onto cables, after 'bird caging' the wire end.

I had no idea that solder pots were so cheap, for example:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 pm 
Knob Magnet

how does it work doing nipples then Richard? 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am 
Knob Magnet

in my search for less cluttered handle bar/front end area, i have come up with a cunning plan, this involves sorting the brake hoses from the M/c, going to remove one of the hoses and fit a splitter block to the underside of the lower yoke.
this will result in one less hose from the M/c, also the use of a single banjo bolt, so the hose/banjo wont stick out so far from the bottom of the M/c.
i will be going onto TorquesUK shop later to purchase all the required bits and pieces for said project.

Whilst pissing around with the steering damper last night, I had another brain storm, after looking at the collapsed bearing in the end of the damper rod, it occurred to me that the bearing was fitted into the end joint and then swagged to hold it there, not just a press fit as i had first thought! so the bearing must be a 14mm O/D not the 15mm (couldnt find any on the web!! ) i had first thought.
this means that i will be able to get a new bearing no problem, so tonight i will attempt to press the old bearing out without doing any damage to joint or damper rod.

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:46 pm 
Knob Magnet

well, got an 8mm socket, used it to knock the bearing out, didnt take much effort, got it out without any damage to the damper rod and bracket.

measured up the bearing, went on e-bay, got one for £3.22 posted.

bit of a saving as i was going to send it away and get it done by Firefox Racing, looks like i have saved some cash and effort, result
waiting for some measurements back from Torques UK, if all is good then i know now what i am going to do.

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:50 am 
Victor Meldrew

370steve wrote:
how does it work doing nipples then Richard? 8o

I assume that galvanised or plain steel cable inners are used, rather than stainless, which doesn't seem to like being soldered, if my attempts are anything to go by *.

Thread the nipple onto the cable, 'birdcage' the free end ( there's apparently a tool for doing that, but I guess splaying the wires apart and twisting them round does the same thing well enough ) so that it fits into the hollow in the nipple. Then dip it into flux, then dip into the molten solder in the pot.

* I've tried using both an electric soldering iron, and a gas torch. Managed to completely melt on nipple using the gas torch. :o

Using both multicore electronics solder, and old fashioned plumbers flux and solder.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am 
Knob Magnet

i have found that after doing the Birdcage, i put the nipple onto the soldering iron with the birdcage against the iron, the
cable is held upright, once the solder (flux cored) is added to the iron it flows into the nipple and up the cable, once it starts to flow from where the cable exits the nipple, i remove it from the heat. stops too much solder spreading up the cable and making it stiff at a point where you want it to flex.
yes Venhill have it posted on there site that plain or zink plated cable is required for home soldering.

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:48 pm 
Knob Magnet

You know some days when you are sat at home waiting to do something and you just happen to go on E-bay to pass the time....................welll

i was sat waiting to go to the dentist, had a bit of time to spare, sold a few items last couple of days,  so money in Paypal account.

didnt like the OEM Nissin fluid reservoirs that i have currently fitted to the bike, so had a quick look at some flash Italian Billet goodness, as you do............

have purchased some Rizoma pots from Moore Speed Racing, same folk that i got all my Motogadget lushness from.

Haha I shouldnt be left alone unsupervised  without adult supervision. :angel

see how i get on with fitting them, I didnt order the mountings coz the Rizoma fitting kits are a bit £££££

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:49 pm 
Knob Magnet

brake hose bits turned up today, so it was off with the front end and on with fitting the new set up.

dry break connectors did the trick in helping with QD front end.

had to remove some small webs from the underside of the yoke, will clean it all up when it is finished.

still need to get a hole drilled to fit the retaining nut, but will get that done later.

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:51 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Very neat, makes you wonder why the factories don't make them like that.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:46 am 
Knob Magnet

richard pitman wrote:
Very neat, makes you wonder why the factories don't make them like that.

Cost probably Richard :help

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:05 pm 
Knob Magnet

Got the new Rizoma fluid pots through, great quality, but now i am wandering whether to go for two of the medium pots, rater than the

large and medium i have got!

Thoughts?

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:23 pm 
Victor Meldrew

It would certainly look more 'balanced' with the same size on either side. Nice bits of kit.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:32 pm 
True Horneteer

Ok - my opinion on the subject of different v same sized reservoirs is gonna sound hopelessly pretentious and pompous - so apologies in advance :angel . . .

Personally I'd be happy with the different sized pots - bikes are largely symmetrical in form as a product of their function - so the addition of some minor functional* asymmetry in the form of the different sized reservoirs provides a visually pleasing counterpoint in what is an overwhelmingly balanced canvas (can't believe I just used the word 'canvas' :angel )

*In this case the asymmetry indicates that the clutch and brake reservoirs have different jobs to do on the bike and are not simply doubling up the same function.

I was a fan of the differently sized headlights on the BMW S1000RR for similar reasons.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:29 pm 
Knob Magnet

HOON98 wrote:

*In this case the asymmetry indicates that the clutch and brake reservoirs have different jobs to do on the bike and are not simply doubling up the same function.

Ah, but there i beg to differ :box
they do perform the same job...ie they hold spare fluid, although doing the same job, they require to do it within differing operating limits, it is only really a need to have a bigger fluid pot when you are in a RACE environment, especially Endurance, so pad wear over race distance can be taken up with the extra fluid that a large Res holds, in normal road use and with a sight glass to keep an eye on fluid levels, this will not become a problem!
I think the problem stems from the use of "race" parts on Road bikes as a selling aid! so Asymmetry becomes the expected "norm"
i am also going to buck the trend and mount them differently to how everyone else would :) :evil

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm 
True Horneteer

370steve wrote:
they do perform the same job...ie they hold spare fluid, although doing the same job, they require to do it within differing operating limits, it is only really a need to have a bigger fluid pot when you are in a RACE environment, especially Endurance, so pad wear over race distance can be taken up with the extra fluid that a large Res holds, in normal road use and with a sight glass to keep an eye on fluid levels, this will not become a problem!
I think the problem stems from the use of "race" parts on Road bikes as a selling aid! so Asymmetry becomes the expected "norm"
i am also going to buck the trend and mount them differently to how everyone else would :) :evil

That's an excellent technical explanation and rational justification for the use of identical pots - in which case you are absolutely right to install the two identical fluid reservoirs. :angel

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:09 pm 
Knob Magnet

I think there are a few examples of built in res on M/c's that are of same volume, but they are all
touring/sport touring type bikes 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Speaking of symmetry:

Quote:
It's normal for one of your testicles to be bigger than the other. The right testicle tends to be the bigger one. One of them also usually hangs a little lower than the other within the scrotum.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:04 pm 
Knob Magnet

Haha Richard TMI :o

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:40 am 
Knob Magnet

did some work last night, not a lot and not very fast.
little bit more done to taking the head off,
cams now out, just need to unbolt the head,
seriously thinking about fitting a new cam chain whist i have the head off.

Ordered another fluid pot from MSR.

went on to Webike japan site and ordered a rear brake master cylinder 90deg hose connector, it will
dirrect the hose routing behind the down tube and clean up the look of that area massively. used Webike as i still had some buying points left to use up. so even with postage from Japan it has only cost me a couple of quid.

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:21 am 
True Horneteer

Quote:
It's normal for one of your testicles to be bigger than the other. The right testicle tends to be the bigger one. One of them also usually hangs a little lower than the other within the scrotum.

Exactly what I was getting at! :angel

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:28 pm 
Victor Meldrew

HOON98 wrote:
Quote:

Exactly what I was getting at! :angel

Just me talking b0ll0cks as usual …..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 pm 
Knob Magnet

:clap :clap

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 pm 
Knob Magnet

got second medium fluid pot through post.

took head off and cleaned combustion chambers of all the burned oil, cleaned up piston crowns as well.

I will change the valve stem oil seals tomorrow.

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:07 pm 
Knob Magnet

no evidence of external damage to valve stem seals, all valve stems are within tolerance, very little side ways movement on valves when fitted into guides, 

if it happens again i will get the guides replaced.

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am 
Knob Magnet

bike is back together, well head is on and torqued up.

yokes fitted with spare set of bars, just need to fit forks and front wheel so she is mobile enough to push her into the back

of my berlingo for our trip down to Racefit.

might be a bit of a splash and dash to get there and back, coz i am on call, doing Duty Casualty Notification Officer for the north of England all this week. (get all the best jobs)

so just got to hope that i dont get called out before i have got the bike down there and back!!! 

370Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section