Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post subject: Re: ryca build project
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:07 am 
Hornet Warrior

OK, RYCA fans, I got back into the shop this weekend. Spent some time yesterday afternoon wiring up the tach and speedo--it involved cutting, splicing, soldering, and heat-shrink wrapping the wires--finally, the wires were connected to a power source and the coil:

The tach works!! :) :) :)

Today, I spent some time preparing the seat to be mounted to the bike--first order of business was to grind the seat tubes down (again!) in small increments so that the metal seat pan sat level (tedious stuff!)

Here is the end result:

Here is the fiberglass seat being prepared to have the upholstery pan mounted to it:

Here is a shot of the fiberglass seat and upholstery pan prior to mounting to the metal seat pan:

Finally, here is a shot of my baby with the seat installed: :love :love :love :love :love

If it hadn't been raining, I might have taken her for a short spin--still need to give her a final tune, wire up brake and tail lights, add side covers, and mount the license plate bracket.

Oh, yeah, and order up plates and call my insurance man . . .

Probably a good thing it was raining . . .

:angel :angel :angel

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 pm 
Knob Magnet

:clap :clap lookin well sweet, hope you get her out for a run soon 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:44 am 
Hornet Warrior

Here are some pics I meant to post up yesterday--these show the upholstery pan, fiberglass seat, and metal seat pan connected as one unit prior to install:

Here is a pic from today of the chief assistant, who is enjoying the honor of being the first one to plant a backside on the new seat:

We also spent a little time today wiring up the tail light/brake light. Here is the combination LED tail light/brake light/integrated turn signals prior to wiring up:

The wiring process:

Tail light works!

Brake light works also!

I will try to take some video and figure out how to post that up--she sounds awesome!

I need to call my insurance guy tomorrow--also need to contact the DMV to order up some plates--I want to be legal when I take this beast out for a test ride. :angel :angel :angel

Last edited by bikertrash on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:53 am 
Hornet Warrior

370steve wrote:
:clap :clap lookin well sweet, hope you get her out for a run soon 8o

Thanks Steve--that day is getting closer! :)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:43 am 
Hornet Warrior

Excellent job. Really looking forward to seeing/hearing the video of the first ride. Perhaps one of those helmet cams coming on??? :D

2003 600.Renthals,Black/Red short levers,Black/Red grips,Black pointy mirrors,black alloy footrests,Mivv X-Cone,small plate,LED indicators,No.plate lights,rear light/integral indies,cropped rear guard,HEL red brake hoses,stainless screws,Renthal sprockets,Tsubaki gold chain,stainless sprocket nuts

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 pm 
Hornet Warrior

That ride is looking sweet mate. Well done the young lad getting his hands dirty as makes a change nowadays of consoles and mobiles!

I am going to have a little break from work next year and plan to build a cafe racer.

Got the idea from "Cafe Racer" program and want to build mine around a 70's Honda CB550 or 750. Want to stick to the CB heritage of the Hornet :rollin

It was the Joker bike that got me hooked on the idea and can't wait to get started :Lick

I never forget a face, but in your case i'll be glad to make an exception.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Make sure you post up plenty of pics of the project! :)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:20 am 
Hornet Warrior

Not much new to report, but I did mangage to get the carb dialed in this afternoon. She was running lean, and the back-firing has been eliminated. :)

Man, she sounds gooooooooood! :evil :evil :evil

I had one of my kids show me how to use a digital video camera tonight--I will take some video (with sound) and try to figure out how to post that up--stay tuned!

As of today, I also have a license plate and insurance--once we get the plate and tail light mounted, she should be ready for a test run!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:17 pm 

Hey Jim, It is good to see you sharing your Ryca Project with your Hornet Brothers. I have been away for awhile as you know the reasons why. For the rest of you here, know this. I have known this man for about 40 years. Jim has been able to balance his passion for motorsports especially motorcycling and still keep his family values as the top priority. You have my respect and admiration.

That being said, great work Jim. I look forward to our upcoming road trip to the Ozarks and Arkansas.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:34 am 
Hornet Warrior

Careful, you are going to ruin my reputation as a class-A hooligan! :angel :angel :angel

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:05 am 
Hornet Warrior

Not much progress to report on the cafe build this weekend--also no video yet, I am sorry to say. I spent a good chunk of the weekend getting my 919 ready to go on a trip to Arkansas with the Mad Duck (May 5-9--I will try to remember to post some pics after we get back).

Anyhow, I did manage to take the ryca out today for a 3.5 mile test ride (first ride since the rebuild)--I did not get out of town due to the lack of a tail light, rear signals, and license plate. Man, it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I talked to one of my buddies afterwards and he asked how it was. I told him that the seat is as hard as a brick, it vibrates like a paint shaker, and it is obnoxiously loud.

In other words, the perfect bike. :angel :angel :angel

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:52 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Lots of family/work commitments keeping us out of the shop, but we did manage to get the license plate attached over the weekend. The bracket for the plate that came with the kit didn't leave a lot of clearance over the rear tire. I researched other options and finally settled on tucking the plate up under the seat a little bit. I actually liked orienting the plate vertically in the tucked position better than horizontally, but since that position is illegal in Illinois, I opted for tucking it horizontally so as not to draw too much attention from John Law.

Back of battery box drilled and ready to mount plate:

Plate mounted:

View from rear with seat pan re-mounted:

BTW, I survived the trip to Arkansas with the Mad Duck--I will try to post up those trip pics when I get a chance.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:26 pm 

I can vouch for you if your Class A Houligan status is in jeopardy! Project is looking good! Hope to see it at MotoGP.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:19 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Hey Gibbz, good to see you on the board!

That is my goal--the 100 mile ride from my house to Indy for MotoGP--just need to take it on a couple of shake down cruises between now and August. :)

I have a local bike show I want to enter it in on June 2--need to get out to the shop and put on the finishing touches--stay tuned!

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:21 pm 
Knob Magnet

This bike just gets better and better :clap :clap

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:18 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Beautiful bike, love it :clap

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:43 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Thanks guys--I got the tail-light mounted up, but have not downloaded pics from my camera yet--I will try to mount the side covers this week, then maybe post up some video so that you can see and hear it in action. I have been very busy the last few weeks attending weddings, graduations, and the like.

I may have to play hookey from work so I can get this bad-boy finished up. :angel :angel :angel

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:17 am 
Hornet Warrior

Tail light mounting pics!

The assembly epoxied in place:

Close-up of tail light mounted to seat:

Two views from rear with seat on bike:

Not much left to do to finish this project up. Stay tuned!

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:15 am 
Hornet Warrior

The battery that came with the bike finally gave up, so the Chief Assistant and I installed a new one last night:

After hooking up the tail light and turn signals, the seat gets installed:

The Chief Assistant mounts the bases that the side covers will mount up to--smaller fingers are an advantage here:

We just need to mount the side covers and front turn signals and this bad-boy will be done! Our goal is to get this puppy finished up on the Monday holiday--stay tuned!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:01 am 
Hornet Warrior

Here we go ryca fans--the big finish--the chief assistant and I spent some time in the shop the last couple of days getting our project bike ready for the local bike show today:

Base of the side cover epoxied to the inside of the cover:

The chief assistant fits the left cover:

Fitting the right cover:

Side covers installed!

Front turn signal:

Turn signals mounted:

Heat shrinking the wiring:

Right signal wired up:

Right signal works!

Setting up at the bike show:

The chief assistant collects our award--top ten overall!

Enjoying the fruits of his labor:

It was a great day and the perfect conclusion to a fun project--stay tuned for a link to a video in the near future!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:53 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Well desreved! An appropriate end to the hours of labour and skill. Really looking forward to the video. Sounds to me like a helmet cam is on the way!!

2003 600.Renthals,Black/Red short levers,Black/Red grips,Black pointy mirrors,black alloy footrests,Mivv X-Cone,small plate,LED indicators,No.plate lights,rear light/integral indies,cropped rear guard,HEL red brake hoses,stainless screws,Renthal sprockets,Tsubaki gold chain,stainless sprocket nuts

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:14 pm 
Knob Magnet

well done :clap :clap :clap well deserved, congrats

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Thanks guys! It was fun to win an award at a show where many of the other entrants had invested anywhere from 5 to 10 times the amount of money we spent!

:angel :angel :angel

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:07 pm 
Hornet Warrior

OK, guys, here is a link to a short youtube vid that one of my buddies posted up of me revving the snot out of my savage at the local bike show this past Saturday. Enjoy! :evil :evil :evil :evil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJjR0nln ... e=youtu.be

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:46 am 
Hornet Warrior

Tidied up some wiring from the tail light today--epoxied a couple of nuts into place under the fender cowling to route the wiring--we'll see how this works--hopefully more permanent than the duct tape I used to get the bike ready for the bike show. :angel

I need to re-postion my rear-sets tomorrow for a more comfortable foot position. I also need to do something with the mirrors--I like the look, but I can't see much of anything behind me. I suppose a guy is never truly "finished" with a bike build. :angel

This bike is lots of fun and very different from my 919--kind of like the difference between a paint shaker and a sewing machine. :lol :lol :lol

Last edited by bikertrash on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Here is a youtube link to a walk-around and start up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgDRmkgT ... e=youtu.be

You may notice that the right front turn signal is missing its lens--I was trying to change the bulb and buggered up the lens. :Bang :Bang :Bang They were cheap ebay items--I may look for something of a little higher quality.

Last edited by bikertrash on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:08 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I adjusted the rearsets over the last 2 days to a lower position--much easier to shift and use the rear brake.

Here is a pic of the right rearset after initial installation:

Here is the right rearset after adjustment:

Left rearset after adjustment:

I also added a spacer to the bracket that holds the muffler in place--I was able to tuck the muffler a little closer to the bike as a result.

Before adding the spacer:

After adding the spacer:

A few more tweaks needed--still looking for mirrors that will let me see something other than my arms--stay tuned.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 am 
Hornet Warrior

Check this out--our bike made the RYCA website customer build page (click on the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page--we are the Acklin boys from Illinois):

http://rycamotors.com/bikes/customerbuilds/index.html

Good stuff. :) :) :)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:59 am 
Hornet Warrior

I swapped out the stock petcock for what the savage message board calls the "raptor mod." It is actually a Yamaha part that fits this bike and replaces the stock vaccuum petcock with a petcock that has a true on/off. I was tired of vaccuum leaks that caused the bike to bog whilst traveling down the highway at 70 indicated with large vehicles behind me. :eek

Here is the new petcock:

Here is the original petcock with vaccuum line:

Here is the new petcock installed--no vacccuum line, so I had to cap off the vaccuum port on the carb with a small rubber cap:

I also purchased new mirrors, but need to also install some extenders to that I can see past my shoulders:

I will get the mirrors installed soon, then will install new front signals. Then start looking for the next project? :angel :angel

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 pm 
Knob Magnet

any news with build? New build????? 8o 8o 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:18 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Hey Steve. I got the mirrors mounted, but have not swapped out the front signals yet. I will try to take a couple of pics and get them posted up. I put about 1000 miles on the project bike over the summer/fall--the new petcock works great. It is a BLAST to ride and I always get comments/questions when I'm on it. I rode it to the Moto GP in Indy (about 100 miles from my home) and enjoyed the attention it received that weekend.

My son and I have talked about doing a new build, but nothing in the pipeline so far. Work for me and school/sports for him keep us fairly busy. We do take time for the occasional ride--we were able to take a mid January ride when we got a break in the weather--I will try to get a couple of pics from that ride posted up soon.

Rest assured that any future bike build will be posted up on the Hornet's Nest!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:27 pm 
Knob Magnet

Glad to see you are still working on the bike, never ends really does it :) both of mine are
in pieces at the moment, but i am posting progress as it happens.
for future reference with the petcock, you can remove the cover from the vacuum diaphragm
and remove the spring (that causes it to close when vacuum stops) remove the diaphragm,
insert the spring in front of it, then replace the diaphragm.
this way the fuel circuit is never blocked by the diaphragm again as it is held open by the spring instead
of being closed.
did it to my track bike, so it was one less thing to go wrong 8o :D

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm 
Hornet GOD!

bikertrash wrote:
OK, guys, here is a link to a short youtube vid that one of my buddies posted up of me revving the snot out of my savage at the local bike show this past Saturday. Enjoy! :evil :evil :evil :evil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJjR0nln ... e=youtu.be

now that would piss my neighbours off :evil

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:15 pm 
Hornet Warrior

The exhaust system is obnoxiously loud when the bike is revved. It was a lot of fun riding it to the track when in Indy for the Moto GP--lots of spectators walking to the track got to witness first hand how loud it is. One of my buddies kind of chuckled when we came up to a stop sign and said, "how old are you, twelve?!?" HA! It was great--I had an ear to ear grin the whole time I was on the bike.

For my neighbors' sake, however, I am careful to go easy on the throttle when leaving my garage. One doesn't want to sh*t in his own nest, as my dad used to say. :angel :angel :angel

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 pm 
Hornet GOD!

bikertrash wrote:
The exhaust system is obnoxiously loud when the bike is revved. It was a lot of fun riding it to the track when in Indy for the Moto GP--lots of spectators walking to the track got to witness first hand how loud it is. One of my buddies kind of chuckled when we came up to a stop sign and said, "how old are you, twelve?!?" HA! It was great--I had an ear to ear grin the whole time I was on the bike.

For my neighbors' sake, however, I am careful to go easy on the throttle when leaving my garage. One doesn't want to sh*t in his own nest, as my dad used to say. :angel :angel :angel

:clap nice quote that
think i will pinch that :angel

excellent thread btw. not my cup of tea those cafe racers,but to see a build is quite intresting,even more so when the young uns are involved :clap

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I have to admit that it is not the most comfortable bike to ride--the seat is hard and the riding position is hard on my old man back/neck/wrists--I was wiped out by the time I got back from Indy after the Moto GP. That being said, it is a great bike for around town, stoplight to stoplight. It never fails to put a big grin on my face.

You are correct--the absolute best part is that I built it with my boy--lots of good memories made in that garage. :)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:21 am 
Hornet Warrior

Our January 12 ride on the 919 with a stop at one of our favorite burger joints--58 degrees in mid January!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 am 
Hornet Baby

It's a top job lookihg good

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 am 
Hornet Toddler

Hi

I am looking to start a cafe racer project later this year but did not figured out which donor/bike I should start from.
Since I allready own a Ducati 2007 S4R monster and a 1992 honda pan european this gotta be made on a tight budget.

The perfect classic bikes to make a nice cafe racer from are being sold for ridiculous prices.
The savage can be found for a fair price to start a project but I am wondering what parts are necessary to come from Ryca to build this into a sweet caferacer?

Like the fork lowering kit ( is there cutting involved or only those spacers and the tool provided?), battery-box, Sidestand Mount...?

How did they actually changed the tank or is it known that other tanks be used?

A load of questions :blahblah

Thanks in advance

PS I live in Belgium and customs does not like packages coming from the USA, like you get fined for import taxes and paperwork blabla, in short it costs you double after customs clearance :evil

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:43 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I bought my Savage in running condition for $700. However, the parts and mods from RYCA cost me another $3000 or so. I was able to sell some of the parts I took off, so I probably have $3500 in the bike net. I never learned to weld, and I don't do bodywork and paint, so getting the kit from RYCA was the way to go for me. I think that you can purchase parts from them individually, so if you can fab some of the parts yourself (or have a buddy that can), you can probably get this done cheaper than I did (not taking into account getting some of the parts through customs).

No cutting to lower the fork--just used the spacers and tool provided--that part was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

The battery box was provided in the kit, but I have seen some RYCA mods that used a small lithium battery and mounted it right behind the motor down low with a box they fabbed up.

The sidestand mount was part of the kit as well.

I sent in my stock tank to RYCA--they cut about 2 inches out of the middle, welded it up, painted it, and sent it back to me. Not sure about what other tanks might fit.

Here is a link to the RYCA website:
http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/

Here is a link to the Suzuki Savage website--lots of good info here on savages, including ryca modified:
http://www.suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

I would be glad to answer any other questions you might have. Good luck!

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section