Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: ryca build project
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 am 
Hornet Warrior

I was able to carve out a little time to work on my project bike today--my assistant was off with his grandparents so I had to fly solo--swingarm, new shocks, and rear wheel assembly all went back on:

Lots left to do, but it is nice to see a little bit of progress after stalling out over the summer--I should have some time over the holidays to get after it again--I need to keep the momentum going--stay tuned . . .

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:26 am 
Hornet Warrior

Great day--rode the 919 for a 35 mile Christmas day ride (mid 40's but sunny and dry), then did a little bit of wrenching on the cafe build. Had to get organized first by laying out the hardware and assorted parts and getting the bike up on a rear stand:

Next, the battery box install:

Then, clean up the stock rectifier and attach to front of battery box:

I need to get some zip ties and connectors to clean up the wiring--lots to do--I have the day off tomorrow and will try to get the chief assistant back in the shop with me!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:37 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I got my assistant back in the shop yesterday for some father and son wrenching.

Tach/speedo assembly:

Rearset assembly:

Kickstand:

Rearset bracket before and after installation:

Belt guard installation:

Tank mount assembly:

Seat pan/tank test fit:

Seat pan/seat/tank/side panel test fit:

Another test fit view:

Admiring our work:

Front end lowering mod is up next time we get back in the shop--stay tuned! :) :) :) :) :)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:37 am 
Hornet Warrior

OK, as promised, pics of the front end lowering mod (plus clip-on install and front turn signal stalk mod). :) :) :) :) :)

Front wheel off:

Fork tubes removed:

Fork tubes disassembled (note custom damper removal tool in center of pic):

Damper rods:

Damper rods with spacers (this mod lowers the front end about 2-3"):

Clip-ons:

Modified fork tubes installed, along with clip-ons:

Levers installed (I will order a shorter brake line and will re-route some of the extra cable lengths):

Stock turn signal stalk:

One stock stalk, one modded stalk, and one new front signal:

I am having new rubber installed on the front rim--once I get the front wheel back on and let the bike down off the jack, she will start looking more like a cafe bike, I think. Stay tooned!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:47 am 
Hornet Warrior

Here we go--new rubber on front rim, front wheel installed:

Fork brace installed:

Check out the new stance with lowered front end! :love :love :love

Cables/wiring re-routed (shorter teflon brake line is being shipped):

Kickstand/brace parts:

Kickstand/brace assembly:

Kickstand installed--still needs a bit of adjustment:

Left rearset and shift linkage installed:

Right rearset and brake linkage installation:

Back to work tomorrow, so it will be next weekend before I get back in the shop. :( :( :(

BTW, my daughter told me this weekend that she did not think I would ever finish this project, so now I have some extra motivation. :) :) :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 pm 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Nice work....its not a 919 but keep it up :clap

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Thanks--I've got some momentum going--I'm trying not to lose it.

And yes, it will be a much different bike from my 919, but a fun bike regardless, don't you think? :) :) :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am 
Hornet Warrior

Worked on the brakes this weekend--time consuming, but progress was made.

Replaced the stock front brake line with a custom 30" teflon line:

Front view (with the cleaned up look of front end due to shorter brake line):

Of course, nothing is ever simple--I had to disassemble, clean, and re-assemble the reservoir and caliper--the fluid was very dark and mucky. Here are the front reservoir assembly and caliper assembly after cleaning:

I fiddled with the rear brake linkage/right rearset assembly for quite a while before I got the adjustment right--here is the end result:

Day off tomorrow--hope to spend some more time in the shop--I may pull the right side engine cover and take a look at the cam chain tensioner--they are notorious for going bad on this bike between 15 and 20k miles--my bike has just over 19k.

Stay tuned . . .

Last edited by bikertrash on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 am 
Hornet Warrior

Did not get into the shop until 8:00 pm (long story). Anyhow, I did pull the crankcase cover so I could look at the cam chain tensioner--although I don't think it is ready to fail, the plunger is at the wear limit (20 mm). So, I have ordered me up a tensioner mod from the suzukisavage.com website that will correct this issue. I will post pics of my bike soon, but in the meantime, the following link will show what this issue involves:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl ... 80206459/0

Back to work tomorrow, but I will post up more pics next weekend--stay tooned!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:25 am 
Hornet Warrior

Snuck over to the shop tonight to pluck the cam chain tensioner--as the pic shows, the plunger is extended about 20 mm, which is right at the wear limit. The assembly has been boxed up and will be shipped out tomorrow to be rebuilt.

Gotta keep making progress--ordered me up some mirrors from ebay this evening--is there anything better during the winter months than getting motorcycle parts in the mail? :angel :angel :angel

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:29 am 
Hornet Warrior

Not much time spent in the shop this weekend, and my chief assistant was busy with ball games and such, so I was short handed.

I did, however, mangage to make a bit of progress, including getting the ignition switch ready for a relocation and re-wire:

Also, the back brake light cable reroute was finished up:

Finally, the decompression rod/lever assembly was sorted (installation to come later). The decompression lever replaces the decompression solenoid and serves to make start up easier, while reducing strain on the starter motor (necessary on a single cylinder 650 thumper). Once installed, the decompression lever can also be used as a killswitch (or a conversation topic at bike night).

Not the progress I had hoped, but the project continues to move forward. The rebuilt cam chain adjuster arrives next week, so I hope to get that installed and the crankcase cover buttoned back up at that time. Stay tuned . . .

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 am 
Hornet Warrior

OK cafe build fans, here is the latest update.

The rebuilt cam chain tensioner arrived this week--note the extension on the plunger. I also picked up a crankcase cover gasket:

Cam chain tensioner installed:

Fresh oil filter and filter cover installation by the chief assistant:

Drain plug installation prior to filling with fresh oil:

Mirror installation:

Mirrors installed--not sure I like this style or not:

Tachometer installation (a new throttle cable has been installed, along with throttle grip):

Speedometer installation:

Tach/speedo installed:

Another view of the tach/speedo:

Hope to get back in the shop tomorrow--maybe some wiring--maybe exhaust installation--stay tuned . . .

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:09 am 
Hornet Warrior

Hi Mate. What an absolutely inspiring thread - I've only just discovered it and read from start to finish - incredibly inspirational stuff and making me very jealous of the workshop facility that you have (my garage is far too small for something like this). Also very impressive to see the a) enthusiasm and b) capability of your able assistant. It's brilliant to see a young man interested in something more than mobile phones, X-boxes and the like. He is a credit to you and the rest of his family. I look forward immensely to the next instalment and ultimately the completed project. Well done fellah! :clap :clap

2003 600.Renthals,Black/Red short levers,Black/Red grips,Black pointy mirrors,black alloy footrests,Mivv X-Cone,small plate,LED indicators,No.plate lights,rear light/integral indies,cropped rear guard,HEL red brake hoses,stainless screws,Renthal sprockets,Tsubaki gold chain,stainless sprocket nuts

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:14 am 
Hornet Warrior

Thanks for the kind words, FB. I am indeed fortunate to have the workshop space that I do--one of my good buddies was over for a little wrenching time not too long ago and commented: "you have it made." I have to agree.

This project has been a lot of fun over all, but is really testing my skill set--it is definitely a challenge, but I think I will have a much greater appreciation for this bike (once I finally get to ride it) as a result. I very much look forward to people asking me what it is and being able to tell them that "my son and I built it."

I did not grow up wrenching on things--my dad was a biker, but outsourced pretty much all of the work on his bikes. My son is gaining skills that I never had the opportunity to acquire when I was his age. And, I am getting real quality time with him and helping build lifelong memories for both of us.

So, with no further ado, here is the latest installment of the ryca build project.

I was able to install the exhaust system today--here is the exhaust pipe and connector:

Muffler, bracket, and hardware prior to install:

Two different views of the installed exhaust system:

Decompression mechanism installed--adjustment will come later:

Ignition installed in tank face plate:

Lots left to do prior to a first ride, but I am cautiously optimistic that I will be able to test drive it this spring/summer. Time will tell . . . :) :) :) :) :) :)

Last edited by bikertrash on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 am 
Hornet Warrior

Brilliant. I learnt all I know about engines and the like from my dad at about the same age as your son. Mine was purely due to the fact that we couldn't afford to get anyone else to fix the family cars/bikes so we had to do it ourselves. I watched a lot before starting to do it on my own cars and bikes. I'm now a fully qualified engineer and draughtsman but due to the lack of manufacturing industry in the UK, I changed career a long time ago. It has stood me in excellent stead and I'm sure that your son will look back on this time very fondly as he gets older. My son is far too involved in sport to do anything like this unfortunately. Doesn't make him bad (as he's definitely not) but it's a shame that skills like this are dieing in the UK for exactly these reasons. Anyway, musing over, the bike is looking great and I look forward to following the progress to completion during the coming weeks and months. :thumbup

2003 600.Renthals,Black/Red short levers,Black/Red grips,Black pointy mirrors,black alloy footrests,Mivv X-Cone,small plate,LED indicators,No.plate lights,rear light/integral indies,cropped rear guard,HEL red brake hoses,stainless screws,Renthal sprockets,Tsubaki gold chain,stainless sprocket nuts

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:25 pm 
Hornet Warrior

All kids come wired up a little differently--my 17 year old son apparently did not inherit the biker gene--he would much rather spend time watching or playing sports--I don't think he has been out to the shop even once to check out the progress--that's OK--it should be a "get to" not a "got to." :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Just checked out the ryca youtube channel and realized I have the decompression rod mounted up wrong. :Bad :Bad :Bad

Ah well. Something to sort out once I get back into the shop--maybe I can sneak over sometime this week. :angel

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 pm 
Victor Meldrew

MCN have been running an article over the last three weeks, converting an SR500 into a cafe racer.

Couldn't much on their website, apart from this video:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/Customs-modified-bikes/2012/January/jan3012-video-sr500-cafe-racer-running/

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:14 am 
Hornet Warrior

Another thumper turned into a cafe racer! Sweet! :love :love

Thanks for sharing--I just have one question--where in the heck was the battery?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:48 pm 
Hornet Warrior

A little bit of progress to report this week--here is the decompression rod mounted up correctly (final adjustment will have to wait until the bike is ready to fire):

Spent a fair amount of time extending the wiring to the relocated ignition switch--took lots of pics, but not many turned out (dadgum cheap digital camera)--I don't suppose looking at a bunch of wiring pics is too exciting anyhow.

I cut 4 two foot sections of wire, soldered to the stubs off the wiring harness, and added heat-shrink tubing. This pic shows one wire connected:

After connecting the other 3 wires, I wrapped the new bundle with electrical tape and sealed the end with more heat-shrink tubing:

Finally, I soldered the 4 ends of the new bundle to the plug that connects the wiring to the ignition switch, sealed those wires individually with heat-shrink, then sealed the end of the bundle with more heat shrink:

Testing the new ignition wiring--it works, I think--I was working with a nearly dead battery:

Going to the motorcycle show in Chicago this weekend, so I don't know that I'll have much progress to report after that--stay tuned . . .

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:39 pm 
Hornet Warrior

After emailing the folks at RYCA regarding the adjustment of the decomp lever/rod, I have been made aware that I STILL have the rod mounted incorrectly. :Bad No wonder it didn't want to adjust correctly . . .

Not sure when I will be able to get back in the shop to get it corrected, as I will be chasing after my kiddos this week in order to attend 5 different athletic contests.

Ah well. It will be waiting for me whenever I get back to it . . .

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 pm 
Knob Magnet

:clap :clap :clap coming along nicely

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:36 pm 
True Horneteer

why you fited decompression system its leccy start no ?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:57 am 
Hornet Warrior

370steve wrote:
:clap :clap :clap coming along nicely

Thanks, Steve. :)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:00 am 
Hornet Warrior

Welshd1k wrote:
why you fited decompression system its leccy start no ?

It is electric start, and came with an electric decompression solenoid. With this conversion, I suppose ditching the solenoid saves a little weight, plus the manual system can be a conversation starter at bike night. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:38 am 
Hornet Warrior

OK, after taking last weekend off, I was able to get out to the shop on two different days this weekend. I spent some time with the electricals yesterday, including wiring up the tail light and rear turn signals (sorry, no pics).

I also installed the lights into the tank face plate--center light is neutral indicator, side lights are turn signal indicators:

I spent this afternoon fixing (I hope) an oil leak that is notorious for this bike. I replaced the plug cap seal, which is made of hard rubber and shrinks over time from engine heat, gradually letting oil leak past it to make a mess of the cylinder head. The first step was to remove the top motor mounts:

Next, I removed several bolts that hold the top plate on the cylinder head--the bolts are of various lengths, so to keep track of them, I used a box turned upside down with a diagram of the cylinder head top plate with holes punched in it that corresponded to the location of the bolts on the actual top plate:

Here is the bottom side of the top plate prior to cleaning:

Here is a view of the cylinder head with the top plate removed (also prior to cleaning)--the leaky plug cap seal is in the upper middle of this photo:

Here is a closer view showing the plug cap seal removed:

The new plug cap seal is on the left, with the old seal on the right:

Here is the newly installed plug with some high temp red sealant showing:

After installing the new plug, the mating surfaces of both the top plate and cylinder head were thoroughly cleaned, and a bead of red high temp sealant was added to the cylinder head mating surface. Finally, the top plate was reinstalled and all bolts were torqued to specs.

I won't know until I run the bike if I got the leak fixed--still lots to do before the first ride, but I am getting closer--stay tuned! :)

Last edited by bikertrash on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:35 am 
Hornet Warrior

Ryca build progress update from the weekend:

The upper engine mounts got a fresh coat of paint:

I am still sorting out the wiring and trying to re-route the spider web of wires. I am getting closer to being able to zip-tie the wiring to the frame. I did manage to re-intall the coil:

Before being able to zip-tie the wiring, I had to check the fitment of the tank and seat pan to see where the wiring should go. The seat pan did not sit flush on the tops of the seat tubes, so I had to remove the high spots with and angle grinder and flapper disc--no pics of that process, but here is the tank and seat pan sitting nice and level as an end result:

I also installed the indicator panel assembly into the tank:

I had a good friend stop by the shop today with his 12 year old son--the boy is bike crazy and so we had a good time talking bikes--I regret not getting a pic of father and son--maybe next time!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:26 am 
Hornet Warrior

The past weekend's progress:

I reinstalled the CDI unit (part of the ignition system) using some double sided tape with velcro in between to mount to the side of the battery box:

I took the carb apart, cleaned it, and installed a new main jet, pilot jet, and needle spacer ring.
Here is a pic of the carb with the float bowl off and a new main jet installed:

Here is a pic of the top plate removed:

Diaphragm and diaphragm throat removed in order to install new spacer ring:

K&N filter--sweet! :love

Filter test fit on carb:

Carb re-installed with oiled filter element:

Finally getting around to sorting out the mess of wires--a couple of pics of wires zip-tied to frame:

Side cover attachment plate installed:

I am getting closer to firing this puppy up--stay tuned! :) :) :) :) :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 am 
Hornet Warrior

After a week away due to sickness, I was back at it this weekend.

Fender/seat pan test fitted, along with tail light/license plate bracket:

Tank installed and ignition hooked up--this pic shows the neutral indicator light lit up (all of my re-wiring works!):

Headlight lit up:

Petcock installed (this now fits right up against the frame and was a pain to install) and fuel lines connected to carb:

The bike turned over, but did not fire. It was getting late and I had run out of energy, so I did not trouble-shoot further--when I get back in the shop, I will check for spark first, then make sure it is getting gas.

I feel like I am getting close--once it is running, it will require a final tune. It also needs the seat and side covers installed, as well as the tach and speedo wired up--stay tuned! :Pray :Pray :Pray

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 am 
Hornet Lord

:clap awesome work :clap

http://www.facebook.com/Tom.lawton.music - please have a look :-)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:38 am 
Hornet Warrior

Thanks Tom. :)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Knob Magnet

excellent work mate :clap :clap hope she fires up without too much messing around :Pray

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 am 
Hornet Warrior

Thanks Steve--I hope to carve out some time for trouble-shooting tomorrow afternoon.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 am 
Hornet Warrior

Waiting with baited breath! Sounds like a you tube video opportunity to me. Well done fellah!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 am 
Needs to get out more!

[quote="bikertrash"]My chief assistant stopped by my shop today after attending a school athletic function (note the orange and blue hair)--I put him to work tearing more parts off the Savage--he was able to accomplish the following in about an hour:

Front fender removal.
[RSimg]Image[/RSimg]
[RSimg]Image[/RSimg]

Left rear shock removal.
[RSimg]Image[/RSimg]
[RSimg]Image[/RSimg]

Muffler removal.
[RSimg]Image[/RSimg]

Right rear shock removal.
[RSimg]Image[/RSimg]

Admiring his work.
[RSimg]Image[/RSimg]

More tear-down pics to come next week--hopefully, my parts will arrive in the not too distant future and I will be able to begin to document the build-up. :)[/quote

Nice to see the youngun's learning at an early age about bikes. I see so many today coming into my mates bike shop and just havnt a clue about looking after Motorcycles let alone a peddle cycle!! Oldgit
]

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:41 pm 
Hornet Warrior

After a 150 mile ride into western Indiana on my 919, I spent some time trouble-shooting the non-firing of my cafe project. No spark from the plug with the plug out while hitting the starter button (even with a new plug)--so, I had to check the coil, which is now inaccessable with the tank on, due to the modded tank sitting so low on the frame. I had to pull the tank, but because of clearance issues with the petcock and frame, the petcock had to be pulled first, but before I could pull the petcock, I had to drain the tank--what a pain. Once I got the tank off, I realized I did not have a firm connection with one of the leads to the coil :Bang :Bang :Bang --once I got that corrected, I had spark. Because I did not want to re-mount the tank (at least not until I make sure it will fire), I propped the tank on top of the frame, which means my fuel line from the petcock is about 2" short of reaching the carb. So, once I have a chance to secure a longer line, I will attempt to fire this bad boy up.

I need to get this project finished soon--I don't want my wrenching time to step on my riding time! :angel

Last edited by bikertrash on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:45 pm 
Knob Magnet

Ah, the fun of working on modified bikes :p

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:48 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Nice to see the youngun's learning at an early age about bikes. I see so many today coming into my mates bike shop and just havnt a clue about looking after Motorcycles let alone a peddle cycle!! Oldgit][/quote][/color]

It has been a fun project--he was not in the shop with me yesterday because he was off playing with his buddies when I got back from my ride. I have definitely enjoyed the times he has been there with me. Hopefully I am creating good memories for him, as well as helping build skills.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 pm 
Hornet Warrior

370steve wrote:
Ah, the fun of working on modified bikes :p

From the looks of your projects, I'm guessing you could write a book on that subject!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 am 
Hornet Warrior

A very busy weekend, but I did manage to secure a longer fuel line on Saturday--hooked it up, put some gas in the tank, pulled out the choke, hit the starter button and she fired right up! What a sweet, sweet sound! :love :love :love :love :love

Spent some time this afternoon installing the rear wheel on my 919 after swapping out the old tire for fresh rubber--went on a brief shakedown cruise this evening--nothing like the feel of a new back tire underneath you. Along with getting the ryca to fire, I got to experience motorcyle nirvana twice in the same weekend. :angel :angel :angel

Anyhow, I have some time off next week--hope to get back in the shop and get this project ready to ride! Stay tuned . . .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section