Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:30 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Hi all.
I thought I'd start a build topic even if it's just for my own records.
You lot seem a decent bunch lol and must say that there is a lot of effort put into keeping the site interesting and exciting so thought I'd best contribute.
My project will be a mild one compared to some on here. :eek

This project didn't really start as a project...

Whilst doing an oil and plug change I ended up with a problem. In brief my plug removal tool sheared a piece off and ended up dropping inside the piston chamber (sorry if I don't use proper mechanical names/terms, hopefully you'll get what I mean). I only found this out after I started the bike up... It sounded awful.
That was it for my lil baby :cry . A good while passed and managed to do a bit of saving and get a mechanic to look at how beat up the engine was. My thinking was a new engine. After he stripped it down, we found the offending piece smashed into the top of the piston. No damage to the chamber or valves! Some how the piece had jumped and bounced about without hitting anything... A few minutes of colourful language and long sighs between the mechanic and I, and the itch started. There was no way the bike was going back together without having 'something' done...

I'm a believer in upgrading rather than replacing stock for stock. So this is where I decided to do a bit of modding. It's taking a little longer than expected but hey, it's getting there.
I'm going to dedicate this build to those people who just don't get modding... The amount of times I've been asked 'Hows the bike doing?' and when I reply that it's taking longer because I'm changing things and having a few problems, to be then told that I 'should just leave things as they are' or 'you should take it to a garage and let someone who knows what they're doing have a look' !!!!!! :finger I'll do what I want thank you! I might not know what I'm doing but with a little help from those who do and a bit of patience I've no doubt that I'll get there in the end. If no one tried things then we would still be living in caves and the wheel would never have been invented in the first place!!
Aaanyway... rambling now.

Here's what I plan to do :

- CBR cams and Carbs
- Change sprocket gearing
- DynoJet
- Air box snorkle removal
- New exhaust
- Paint engine
- Powder coat swing arm and engine brackets
- Renthal Ultra Low bars and grips
- LED indicators with relay

I've noticed from other projects that most never seem to end! lol So there might be other things added or altered as I go along. I'll try to keep this thread updated as often as I can along with pictures because thats what everyone seems to want lol.
The bike is already stripped down with a few bits done so I'll do a bit of back tracking to try and get the whole story in order.

Mike

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 pm 
Hornet GOD!

there are quite a few :angel of us on here that !!! will never be happy with the hornet ' as it is ' ...

370 is a perfect example :clap
myself,i got to a yeah that will do :D , but its time to change a few bits ( again )
as you say , its your bike and you can do what ever you want ? and imo the peeps out there who say ' leave it as it is ' etc simply dont understand !!! or the same peeps are of a 'jealous ' mind underneath who ! wish they had the time , or inclination etc

so :D keep modding :evil

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Yeah, 370 has helped me out a good few times with questions and problems I've stubbled on.
Those people are the brave/mad ones that try things 1st that inspire others to think outside the box.

I think people are loosing their imagination and would rather sit in front of the zombie box watching back to back Corrie & Emmeroids than start thinking of how to improve on a design of something.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Sent some bits to the painters and cleaned up my downpipes

Before

After

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Nice photograph of the later type exhaust headers, worth saving for future reference. :thumbup

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Can I send you my pipes for a clean? 8o
What did you use to clean them?

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:21 pm 
Hornet Toddler

PokaIceTea wrote:
Can I send you my pipes for a clean? 8o
What did you use to clean them?

Ha ha. They look better in the picture. There are still a few blemishes that I can't get rid of.
I looked round on here n found that most are just using metal polishes. I used Peek, Autosol, Brasso and some scotch pad. I found a link somewhere that someone had used a stainless cleaner- Opitglanz or sumat. Used that first, that stuff you actually see working. Seems like the stains litterly wash off. German stuff I think. eBay.

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Called and picked up my bits from the painters...

ImageImageImage

and thoughts?...

ImageImage

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:35 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Not much of an update.
Engine back in one peice now with cams fitted. Everything looks tidy and sat in place.
Started to clean the engine down with degreaser and borrowed a mates steam cleaner.
Seemed to work ok with a good brushing.
Hopefully get some paint on it soon.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 pm 
Hornet Toddler

I've been busy lately so not had much time to work on the bike.

I forgot to put pics of the cam i had to chop down to fit...

Before...

After with new plug fitted...

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:43 pm 
Hornet Toddler

I finished cleaning the engine, took a while but need to make sure its as clean and grease free as possible.
Taped and plugged holes up and took out the rattle cans...

Got some stainless bolts to swap over too when I get some time. Should add a bit of detail to the black lump.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Can anyone point me to a specifc thread relating to removing the PAIR Valve... Plenty people mention it but wondered if there ws a specific page on it?

Trying to put all the pipes and bits back on the engine and not sure what i can leave off and what needs blanking off. In perticular is the sub-air cleaner part of the PAIR and can that be removed?

Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:15 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
In perticular is the sub-air cleaner part of the PAIR and can that be removed?

No, it's not part of the PAIR system.

As far as I can work out, it's something to do with the CV carbs, maybe it filters air entering the diaphragm chamber ?

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Cheers for that, that'll use a couple of loose pipes up then if the filters stay on.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:44 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Could someone tell me if these two pipes are needed if remoing the PAIR Valve? I'm swapping to CBR carbs and they are squashing the pipes.
Haynes manual doesn't seem to mention them and workshop manual doesn't show them connected to anything.
I think the right side pipe connects directly to the Valve but I don't know where the other end goes...

:help

Although the pic doesn't really show it, the pipe has two ends...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Managed to sort few little bits out recently.
Chopped into the air box and removed the snorkle and drilled my Renthal Lows ready for putting the levers etc back on.

ImageImage

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm 
Hornet Toddler

While trying to find out more info on the Carb swap, I've started modding the inlets and making some gaskets...

ImageImage

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:45 pm 
Scratcher2

PEBO wrote:
Could someone tell me if these two pipes are needed if remoing the PAIR Valve? I'm swapping to CBR carbs and they are squashing the pipes.
Haynes manual doesn't seem to mention them and workshop manual doesn't show them connected to anything.
I think the right side pipe connects directly to the Valve but I don't know where the other end goes...

:help

Although the pic doesn't really show it, the pipe has two ends...

you are going to want to hrc mod those cbr carbs if you would like i will send you the mod diagram.

it just gets rid of unneccasery tubes such as heating tubes used for when its below -5 and something on the head i pulled out and put a bolt in as it says :) the pair valve is a useless sack of sh*t and im just putting the cbr head on which never had pair valve

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:33 pm 
Knob Magnet

jackojeff wrote:
im just putting the cbr head on which never had pair valve

awful lot of work for what you can accomplish with a bit of alloy plate and 10 mins work :(

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:46 am 
Scratcher2

370steve wrote:
jackojeff wrote:
im just putting the cbr head on which never had pair valve

awful lot of work for what you can accomplish with a bit of alloy plate and 10 mins work :(

tbh i know nothing about PAIR valves so just decided to go with what i know :) but if someone would like to give me a detailed education i would be happy to learn

i think i might get the f3 head skimmed and gas flowed i kinda want 100bhp at the wheel on my cb

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:06 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Riiiiight, update time...
Sorry its been a while.
Thanks all for the PAIR info managed to sort out what pipes I needed to get rid of and what could stay.

PEBO wrote:
you are going to want to hrc mod those cbr carbs if you would like i will send you the mod diagram

I've not heard of this mod-what does it involve and is there any gain from doing it?

The heater pipes off the CBR Carbs have come off, I try not to ride in the winter or colder times of the year. I don't find it much fun

370steve wrote:

This will be to blank the two stubs on the rocker off? I've been a bit lazy and just used some silicone capping blanks. Not as astheticly pleasing but I already had the rocker painted and left the REED caps on.

Back to the bike. All was going well, all bits back on battery conected and ready for 1st fire up in several months.
Took a while to get the oil pressure up but kicked in eventually.
Sounded good with the new can I've put on but was sort of over shaddowed by the noisy tapping coming from the engine...
So, I was thinking maybe my early lucky escape from replacing the engine was returning to haunt me.
Rocker off, head back off and the evidence was plain to see...

The Exhaust CBR Cams are hitting the valves in to the pistons.
Now need to check all the valves to see it any are bent. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the pistons other than just some light impact marks.
Has anyone doing the CAM Mod come across this? Why does the Intake side work fine but the Exhaust foul, or have I missed something out? The valve clearences where spot on.

i was hoping to go get it MOT'd today but this has put me back until next week now. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out for me.... :Pray :Pray :Pray :Pray

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
Scratcher2

PEBO wrote:
Riiiiight, update time...
Sorry its been a while.
Thanks all for the PAIR info managed to sort out what pipes I needed to get rid of and what could stay.

PEBO wrote:
you are going to want to hrc mod those cbr carbs if you would like i will send you the mod diagram

I've not heard of this mod-what does it involve and is there any gain from doing it?

The heater pipes off the CBR Carbs have come off, I try not to ride in the winter or colder times of the year. I don't find it much fun

370steve wrote:

This will be to blank the two stubs on the rocker off? I've been a bit lazy and just used some silicone capping blanks. Not as astheticly pleasing but I already had the rocker painted and left the REED caps on.

Back to the bike. All was going well, all bits back on battery conected and ready for 1st fire up in several months.
Took a while to get the oil pressure up but kicked in eventually.
Sounded good with the new can I've put on but was sort of over shaddowed by the noisy tapping coming from the engine...
So, I was thinking maybe my early lucky escape from replacing the engine was returning to haunt me.
Rocker off, head back off and the evidence was plain to see...

The Exhaust CBR Cams are hitting the valves in to the pistons.
Now need to check all the valves to see it any are bent. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the pistons other than just some light impact marks.
Has anyone doing the CAM Mod come across this? Why does the Intake side work fine but the Exhaust foul, or have I missed something out? The valve clearences where spot on.

i was hoping to go get it MOT'd today but this has put me back until next week now. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out for me.... :Pray :Pray :Pray :Pray

dont know about the cbr buddy but put 2 hornet or cbr 600 f3 inlet cams on there its traight fit no messing and works like a charm :)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:12 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Yeah the Inlet works fine just the Exhaust side having bother with. Other people done this mod because I read somewhere that you need to cut the end off the cam and re-plug it. Which I've done, or I can re-fit the Hornet Inlet but wondering why bother to do all that to the CBR cam when it won't work. I must be missing something or doing something wrong, I just don't know what lol...

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:50 pm 
True Horneteer

Jacko I believe meant using two inlet cams in the same head mate - apparently it's a pretty common mod on older CBR (the same engine as the hornet) race bike engines!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am 
Scratcher2

tbh you probably haven't correctly set it at TDC before removing and re-fitting the cams, place at TDC according to the ignition sprocket and check that your cams are perfectly on TDC could be out a tooth like someone above said. and joe rock is correct i run 2 inlets and it works well and had no problems at all so far *touching wood*

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
Hornet Pilot

I would also be interested in what it takes to run the cbr carbs on the hornet!

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section