Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post subject: Hornet Rescue
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:50 am 
Hornet Baby

Hey guys,

I've been meaning to join for a while now and wanted to post my hornet build. It's not too serious so I hope it's in the right section. My last ride was a pristine 06' SV650S which was great until I did a few track days and wasn't really keen on thrashing it or writing it off.

I ended up selling it to a mate. So I went on the hunt to find a track/ fun bike and picked up this.

A 2000 CB600F, I was pretty happy getting the 17" front. It was a repairable write off. Damage included busted radiator, cracked front and rear fairing broken lever, bent crash bung and scratches here and there.

I started stripping it down for a good clean

I didn't really have much of a plan yet only that I didn't want to spend heaps and it had to be naked.

Post subject: Re: Hornet Rescue
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 am 
Hornet Baby

I bought up a few things like, streetfighter rethals, new grips, radiator, chain and sprockets, k&n air filter, rearsets, hyperpro rear shock, hyperpro linear springs and some small bling parts (its been over a year since I've seen the bike so trying to remember everything). There were so many dam trips to the honda dealer for bearings and all sorts of miscellaneous things.
New radiator, cleaned up headers, straightened bracket and new crash bungs.

A mount on the headers needed welding up which my little welder just managed to do.

Rearsets! :eek pretty basic, soo much better that the stock ones though.

I can't remember what brand they were, maybe valter moto or something...

Sent the front wheel off for painting and then added some nice stickers.

At about this time I was getting a few things powdercoated up and some other painting when I had a bit of a setback. The first powdercoater who did my fork legs blasted inside as well somehow!? so when they went back together it just chewed up the bushing straightaway. You couldn't really feel a difference but it wasn't good :notme . I was also working on the other side of Aus and was short of time at home so on to ebay for a set of F3 forks from the US. Painted the bottoms myself and back together with new springs and oil.

Oh yeah Hel braided lines and koso RX1N Gauge I think?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:42 pm 
Hornet Baby

I didn't really want to put all this in one post cause it's pretty long not sure if that's want ya do or what, new to this. Anyway I got the forks in and I think they nearly poke through enough before hitting the bars (have to check that out again). The koso wasn't too bad to install and I was pretty happy with the mount I made (bolts on with the ignition barrel) however later I found that the steering lock doesn't work as it's spaced lower now :clap but I'll sort that out later on...

The painters had my tank, rear fairing and mudguard for a while but they turned out great. It's gloss black with a satin clear coat which he said would be more durable than just a matt or something.

Got on to the rear end with the swing arm powdercoated and new bearings got the new shock in as well looking better now!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:58 pm 
Hornet Baby

Ok so I was getting pretty close to having it on the road. Threw on a cheap motocross light for the time being (couldn't decide what I wanted).

So I had the bike in this state when my wife received confirmation of a teaching job in Thailand for a year. So we packed up and sold most stuff ready to go. My bike went to my old mans place who was kind enough to finish off a few things like mounting the front mudguard, tunning and I can't remember what else. Her it is at his place with his TRX.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:17 pm 
Hornet Baby

Now I'm looking forward to getting back to Aus and going for a decent ride on it. I havn't been bikeless though I've been getting around on this powerhouse in Bangkok. :)

It's a great bike we don't get them this small back at home. There was no way I was going scooter as well.

Once I'm back there will be a few little things to go for the hornet:
Have the rear wheel painted
Bar end mirrors
Pair removal
Sprocket change
New tyres
Done lol (probably not!)

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section