Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:29 am 

I tried the supersprox and they look very nice indeed but offer no weight advantage over a full steel - hard anodised alloy sprockets look nice too, but won't last the life of the chain - which means when it's worn you have to really replace the lot as one set.

The only other advisory on the supersprox is that there may be availability limitations on fitments / sizes - you pay a bit of premium with them but having had one I'd fit one again - just be aware that because of their construction there's been the odd complaint about them not running true...

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:55 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Being a sad bstard, I did weigh a steel sprocket, a Renthal alloy and a Supersprox. Figures are posted here, somewhere in the dim and distant past.

http://www.hondahornet.org.uk/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14634&hilit=supersprox+weight

Anyway, the steel was the heaviest. Supersprox was a tad lighter, and the Renthal was MUCH lighter. As you say, main reason for Supersprox is cosmetic. I've had no other issues with mine.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:37 pm 
Hornet Pilot

sovrec wrote:
I tried the supersprox and they look very nice indeed but offer no weight advantage over a full steel - hard anodised alloy sprockets look nice too, but won't last the life of the chain - which means when it's worn you have to really replace the lot as one set.

The only other advisory on the supersprox is that there may be availability limitations on fitments / sizes - you pay a bit of premium with them but having had one I'd fit one again - just be aware that because of their construction there's been the odd complaint about them not running true...

To be honest.. Durability and of course looks matters more the weight for me. the bike is a joy thing for those nice and warm days :)

richard pitman wrote:
Being a sad bstard, I did weigh a steel sprocket, a Renthal alloy and a Supersprox. Figures are posted here, somewhere in the dim and distant past.

http://www.hondahornet.org.uk/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14634&hilit=supersprox+weight

Anyway, the steel was the heaviest. Supersprox was a tad lighter, and the Renthal was MUCH lighter. As you say, main reason for Supersprox is cosmetic. I've had no other issues with mine.

i never gave full alloys a thought. i do mill in alloy a few times a year and that way i know that it dosnt matter have "hard" it is.. it will allways be soft.

Supersprox might be the way im going. durability + looks matters :)

Thank you both for some great advices! :clap

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:00 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I've got a couple of things to fit this weekend - the new battery and my shiny new scorpion end can: The scorpion can is beautifully made - I'm very happy with it. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

I've also bought the set of stock forks off here: Stock forks are nicer on the road in the wet and cold. Then that will give me a chance to take the BSD forks apart and check the bushes are still okay.

Then I need to pack the Nitron up and ship it Whitney, OXON to get refurbished. And when it gets back, I'll renew the rear suspension bearings - the bottom one catches all the muck, even with a hugger - and is corroded.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:20 pm 
Hornet Warrior

New battery and Scorpion exhaust fitted. The exhaust link pipe took various amounts of faffing to get fully located to the header pipes - but the rest was easy to fit.

It gives a nice tone with the baffle in - and sounds naughty with the baffle out. :evil

It's too early to tell if the new battery has cured the occasional rough running - but fingers crossed.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:58 am 

Today I took the nail out of my rear tyre and imagined what I would do to the ****ing ****faced sack of **** who left it in the road.

Somehow I think this may not count as a serious modification... :lol

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:54 am 
Hornet Warrior

R&G heated grips fitted.

Toasty

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Decided to have a break from wall papering and CB175 rebuilding, took the Hornet for a spin instead.

Clutch cable snapped half a mile from home :Bang

This is despite me pouring oil down the cable at regular intervals, and cable is less than 15 years old 8o

Anyway, discovered that it isn't that difficult to change down, as well as up, without the clutch, and also that you can pull away on the starter motor in second gear. :D

Or pop it into neutral before coming to a halt ..

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:46 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Fitted new clutch cable today. Taped new to old and pulled it through.

£9.99 SlinkyGlide cable from Wemoto, appears identical to genuine Honda part. I'd always been a bit dubious of some of these pattern part places, but I've recently had quite a few bits from Wemoto for the 175, all seemed to be of good quality, and were dispatched very quickly.

Amazing how smoothly the bike now goes into first gear, the trade mark Honda clunk has all but disappeared. Maybe I haven't had the clutch adjusted correctly all these years. 8o

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm 
Hornet Lord

Miggi03 wrote:
R&G heated grips fitted.

Toasty

They might wear out fair quick, mine did.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am 
Hornet Warrior

anz243k wrote:

Damn, how long did they last?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:19 pm 
Hornet Lord

Miggi03 wrote:
anz243k wrote:

Damn, how long did they last?

I had the J&S Accessories packaged ones (R&G clones) and they wore out within about 3/4 months. To be fair, they were on max almost all the time and I was commuting all week long and doing a fair amount of riding on weekends as well.

Will be going for oxfords next time which are available for about £50 around this time of the year.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:30 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Just did this.

'Pazzo' levers
Grips
Bar-ends.
And renthal ultralow

Im happy with the result :)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Fitted short levers, now to try and fit the ultralows

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:22 pm 
Hornet Warrior

thread resurrection!

The hornet came out of winter hibernation. The reg/rectifier is definitely faulty, but other than that all is tickety boo. Fortunately it bump starts easily and work is no top of a hill.

Although the front brakes feel fine - the pistons are pitted, so I've got new pistons and seals to fit next weekend.

Today is clean, polish and lube day. The chain will get a good de-grease. The clutch cable will get a squirt. And the side stand will be stripped and re-greased as it is sticking.

The Dunlop SportSmarts2 are bloomin brilliant - it wasn't that warm on the commute, but they have oodles of grip and give lots of confidence.

EDIT: Also forgot to say that my Scorpion end can is ace - beautifully built, and it sounds lovely. I'm glad I bought it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:09 pm 
Knob Magnet

triumphantbike wrote:
EDIT: Also forgot to say that my Scorpion end can is ace - beautifully built, and it sounds lovely. I'm glad I bought it.

Pictures, or it didnt happen 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:24 pm 
Hornet Warrior

370steve wrote:
triumphantbike wrote:

Pictures, or it didnt happen 8o

Ha ha - will see if I can do it justice.

It's a similar shape to OEM - but much lighter. It's round, with a nice cone end. I preferred the colour of the titanium finish, but it was double the price of the stainless. They also do oval and/or stubby cans - but I think they look horrible on a stock hornet, because the leave a large gap around the rear bodywork.

The only bit I don't like is the heat protector on the link pipe - the Akra style carbon cover would look much better.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 am 
Hornet Warrior

Fitted a couple of things yesterday. A new regulator/rectifier - I was glad to find the spade connectors and wiring were all in good nick and free of corrosion. I know some folk have had their wires nearly burnt out with the original rectifier. I also fitted a new cam chain tensioner and gasket because the old one was getting noisy. It is quite satisfying removing an old gasket in one go with patience.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:30 am 
Hornet Pilot

Got my Bridgestone S20F and S20EVO R fitted to the rims and then fitted the rims to the bike..

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:41 am 
Hornet Pilot

1) Replaced the chain and the sprockets last week: http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae19 ... 185913.jpg
The -1 front sprocket changed the dynamic noticeable at low rpm :)
2) replaced the original front light bulbs to 2x Philips Xtreme vision 130% H7 - well, i can see in the dark now LOL
3) New oil (Midland 10W50) and filter.
Well, that enough for now :D

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Forgot to post this up at the weekend. Little bit of a ride last week :)

https://youtu.be/WFw5SOXVKLs

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:56 am 
Hornet Pilot

Got the side covers and pillon grip painted in the "renthal red"
Looks good imo. Just need to fit it to the bike on friday :)

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:21 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Today it's time for a minor service, and a front brake overhaul. So new oil, filter, sump washer and air filter.

I've got new pistons and seals to fit to the front brakes, and will give the channels a gentle clean with the dremmel and a soft metal head.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:37 pm 
Hornet Warrior

whoop whoop!

Swapping out my forks for a set of standard forks in good nick has given me back my handling!

One of the fork seals is gone on my BSD race forks, but I also think the bushes are worn, because the handling was awful. Slotting in the standards forks has made such a big difference. I've got the bits ordered - It looks like an easy job, so should do that in the next month. I'll also sand and paint the fork lowers. Nothing fancy - just spray silver with a bit of care and several coats.

The Nitron shock is at the factory getting over-hauled and made good as new: I also need to press in new swingarm mount bearings: I'm not sure if I can just drift them with a hammer and socket - or if I need access to a real press. Once that is fitted, it will handle even better - can't wait.

Once that's done, I'll send the OEM shock off for a service - some companies do that. And it's nice to have a decent back up shock whilst the nitron goes for its regular 2 year service.

The front brake overhaul has worked a treat - the brakes feel fantistic again: Strong, but with decent feel and modulation.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:17 pm 
Knob Magnet

triumphantbike wrote:
I'll send the OEM shock off for a service - some companies do that. .

cant see how as its a sealed unit mate!!!!!!! 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:33 pm 
Hornet Warrior

A quick oil and filter change today.

I tried to overhaul my BSD forks - but the damper rod bolt is on too tight.

I'll get a longer 6mm hex and try some gentle persuasion with the breaker bar. And if that doesn't work, I'll ask the friendly mechanic to try with the air impact driver.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:05 pm 
Hornet Warrior

The long hex bolt has arrived - so operation budge stubborn bolt can begin. Engaging patient brain.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:46 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Excellent - damper rod bolt out, and one set of forks done. I'm trying 120mm air gap with 10W oil in my race forks.

They are stiff - so the bigger air gap (normally 100mm) should soften the damping a touch.

That was a very satisfying job - now to do the other leg!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:16 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Damn and blast - did the second leg much quicker but managed to spill the oil!

It only comes in tiny containers, so I don't have enough to finish.

Will do that this week.

It's a really interesting and satisfying job changing the seals and bushes on forks. I'm glad I did it.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:51 pm 
Hornet Pilot

My buddy did this for me on my bike. Renthal -1 front and supersprox +3 rear. And Did chain.

Cant wait to take it out for a spin :)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:48 pm 
Hornet Lord

Rode it to work for the first time since June 3rd week last year! Feels gooood!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Mine passed its MOT yesterday, no advisories.

Bit embarrassed that it had only done just over 700 miles since last year, my worst year so far, usually manage 2 or 3K per annum. My excuse is that I'm spending far too much time with my old CB175.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:22 am 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Drained the old fuel out the tank of the 900 ready to fit a new high pressure fuel pump inside of tank. Ordered a new lithium battery which is slightly smaller and will save a few pounds in weight. Also ordered a new set of Ngk spark plugs.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:04 pm 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Pulled the trigger on this bad boy...........

The lithium battery arrived less than 26 hours after ordering and as you can see its much smaller and weighs 0.6kg as opposed to over 3kg for my other gel battery. I like the twin connectors so you can fit it one way or another and it wil also help with fitting all the electrickery gizmos I have.
Fitted the battery and pressed the starter..........it spun the motor quickly into life even though it had not been started for maybe 6 months or so :D

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:50 am 
Hornet Pilot

In covered her and Took her out for spin on Sunday as the weather was nice
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm10 ... s7l8wf.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Fitted this superior exhaust!

Devil Master, Carbon.

So light compared to The stock exhaust.. And that Sound :):):)

ImageImage

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:11 pm 
WOOF!

Washed all the polish off her after the aerosol can explosion on the hot day this summer. Closely watched by Snow & Storm.

Being old doesn't make you knowledgeable. It only makes you think you are.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:12 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Put in new front wheel bearings last weekend - and got my handling back!

Took it in for MOT today and it passed with no advisories. 82k miles and still going strong.

<whisper>Although next year I want to replace it with a newer bike</whisper>

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:27 am 
Hornet Lord

That's some good mileage :)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Gave hornet a service last weekend, nipped up the steering head bearings (had a teeny bit of play) and fitted Bendix MF pads up front; They feel great - with really good initial bite, and lots more power when pulling harder.

This weekend I wanted to try balancing the carbs.

What a bloody horrible job that is!!! Tank and airbox off to allow me to connect vacuum hoses easily, and see where the adjuster screws are. They are hidden at the back of the carbs facing the cylinders - and getting to the middle and offside adjuster is a nightmare - even with a very long screwdriver.

To make matters worse - the pair vacuum tube was perished and split when I tried to pull it off. Bollox.

The bike is off the road until I can fit replacements ... which aren't due to arrive until last week of October.

Counting to ten...

It'll be satisfying when I do get the carbs synced because they are definitely out - but bloody hell, what a faff.

Last edited by triumphantbike on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section