Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:04 am 
Hornet Warrior

Thought I'd start a thread to try and keep myself motivated on improving the bike. Not planning a massive transformation and nothing major is wrong, that I can see... just smarten it up. I've not done much so far but got some work planned this weekend. So it began like this in Aug14... pretty damn grubby and covered in stickers with a race can which was way too loud and not road legal. I put the CB1000R mirrors on before i rode it back because the stock ones were snapped off...

So I whipped off the stickers, screen (apart from one of the brackets I'm still trying to drill out), sold the race can and put on the stock and first thing I did was the plastic trim round the tank as recommended on here. More people should do it imo, so subtle but sets the bike off nicely..

Next, I bought myself a hugger and the fender extender and this is how it stands today..

So work I want to do:
- Fit new water pump cover this weekend as drain bolt leaking
- re-paint radiator this weekend as peeling a bit
- Polish up downpipes and clean up and paint mounting bracket this weekend
- New Honda chain and sprockets as both were an MOT advisory - 20% off Honda Letchworth at the min - cheaper than David Silver!
- Fork refurb as bushes are an advisory
- Powdercoat or spray black the forks, yokes & headlight bracket - depending on whether i can be bothered to get the shear bolts out the ignition
- Powdercoat swing arm and kick plates black
- Spray clocks and headlight chrome bits black
- Get myself a Mivv X-Cone (or something shorter than stock) as exhaust fouls the rear indicator

First box of parts for this weekend.. lets begin..

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:26 pm 
Hornet Warrior

So water pump cover on today. Whilst coolant was drained, took the radiator and fan off to give that a going over with the wire wheel and a lick of paint. Currently drying and will give it another coat in the morning.

Whilst thats drying, i took to the downpipes with the wire wheel attachment on the drill. A bit of hard work getting to it all with the wheel in the way but i don't have a jack or paddock stand for the front yet. Amazed how quickly it got all the crap off... Before

After:

Just got to finish off the edges and then run autosol over it with some wire wool to shine it up a bit but its coming along nicely. While the rad is off, i can see that the frame under the yokes is a tad rusty. I don't plan on powder coating the frame but wondered what i could do to it? Would wire wheel remove the paint on the frame?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:03 pm 
Victor Meldrew

One thing I would suggest is some bar end weights, (Renthal type, not OEM) looks as though some were fitted in that first photo.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:20 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Yeah its a gold renthal in the first photo but it only had one when i bought it, so took it off to even it up. Dont suppose anyone has a spare :lol Do you notice the benefit or mainly aesthetic?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:58 pm 
Hornet Warrior

All back together.. fresh looking rad and polished pipes. Could have done a better job, perhaps with a different sandpaper between the wire wheel and the 0000 wire wool but i'm happy with it. Don't want them showroom.. too hard to keep on top of.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:25 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Doomsnite wrote:
Yeah its a gold renthal in the first photo but it only had one when i bought it, so took it off to even it up. Dont suppose anyone has a spare :lol Do you notice the benefit or mainly aesthetic?

I've heard a theory that bar ends are a good idea on the throttle side, might help prevent the throttle jamming open if the bike slid down the road on that side.

Or that the unprotected bar end could impale a crashing rider.

But yes, it's mainly an aesthetic thing in my view, just looks like something is missing with an open bar end.

BTW, your headlight aim looks a bit skyward !

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:29 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Yeah ive been trying to drill out the headlight bolt as the screen bracket is still on there. Not going to ride it like that til its sorted.

Cheers will pick up a new set at some point

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:08 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Shiny new sprockets, sprocket nuts and rear disc gone on today... then it pissed on me so couldn't get the wheel on and try the chain again. Had massive plans for chain, drilling out calliper bolts and stripping front end for powder coat. Oh well, next weekend it is!

Image Image

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:43 am 
Hornet Pilot

Nice one :) Looking good.... I know what you meen about weather dude :( Although it actually stopped raining here today, jesus ? I managed to do a wee bit before I head off to work, wishing I didnt have to :(

Keep up the good work !

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:55 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Front end stripped down for fork rebuild and some powder coating.. rather precariously i might add :D

Forks stripped and ready to go off. Bottled stripping the yokes out so did the headlight bracket and bottom yoke whilst on the bike with some hammerite... happy with the result and tempted to do the forks myself now.

Also sprayed the headlight surround. Just need to do top yoke and clocks before attempting the actual fork build :?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:30 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Powder coating and spraying done Mmmm. Rain just needs to turn it in so i can crack on with it!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:11 pm 
Hornet Warrior

First round of parts gone on today, really like how the clocks and headlight look in black. Just realised now though that the calipers are going to look a bit shit next to all this new black! Made a start building the forks but couldnt fashion a seal driver out of some pvc.. Will give it another go tomorrow unless someone local has one i can borrow :angel

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:58 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Bikes looking nice mate did the mirrors fit straight on? Looking for a set of black mirrors for mine.
Are they any better then the standard ones?
Cheers
T

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:16 pm 
Hornet Warrior

They're actually CB1000R copies off eBay but yeah went straight in. They're a bit wider than standard i believe so will give a better view.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I rebuilt the forks today with some 15w oil to stiffen the front end a bit then set about putting the bike all back together. Really happy with how it looks with all the black on the front end. Wouldnt mind getting the rearsets and swingarm covers done too now to go with the sprocket cover but just wanna get riding on it again first!

Dropped a socket on a fork and got a chip on it already which ill have to touch up but should powder coating chip that easily? Starting to wonder whether they wet sprayed them along with some other bits i had done. Will have to see how they fair with stone chips before complaining.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:53 am 
Victor Meldrew

Looks nice.

And yes, powder coating does chip, I nicked the coating on the swing arm of my 175, just touched it in with a dab of gloss black paint.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:50 am 
Hornet Warrior

Cheers.

Yeah I have some paint to use.. not looking forward to seeing what stone chips on the road do then!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:01 pm 
Hornet Pilot

The bike is looking really nice.

How are you finding the 15W fork oil, would you recommend it?
I'll be replacing mine soon and not sure if I should go for 10 or 15.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Didnt actually have time to go out on it :( .. going to give it a blast tomorrow

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:30 pm 
Hornet Lord

Making good progress. Looks much better already

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:02 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Cheers

First ride out today and it handles really well. New bushes would have helped but i can notice the difference with the thicker oil too.

Considering a new year shock now, even just a new oem one rather than aftermarket. But toying with a new exhaust too...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:50 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Bikes looking tidy mate one of the nicest I've seen so far
T

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:48 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Looks good, how is the hammerite holding up on the light bracket & yokes?

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section