Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:22 pm 
Hornet Baby

Hi all,

I'm Tom, 25 from Stourbridge in the West Mids. And today marks one year since buying my Hornet, so I thought I'd whack up a progress thread to keep track of it all.

The bike was offered to me on Facebook by a friend of a friend. I had just passed my Mod 2 and was looking for a fix up project over the winter of 2015.
This particular bike was up for £600 and had been dropped onto its left side.

So really just some cosmetic stuff that needed sorting. The gear selector arm was bent so that was straightened with some heat and some persuasion with a hammer.
The most expensive part so far has been the smashed clocks. These set me back a few bob but it was worth it.
I tried some of the Chinese tat from ebay and the fitment was appalling. The stator cover had cracked slightly (see below) so that was replaced too.

After a while it was time to face the inevitable and have a go at the tank. I've had a go at bits and bobs in the past (normally rusty Nissan arches) but never something quite like this.
I was hoping I could push the dent out from inside the tank to minimise filler use but no such luck. It's nowhere near perfect (rattle cans for you) and is all being painted a different colour this winter:

I've been riding the bike since March and have loved every minute. My forks are awfully soft and the rear shock bottoms out over bumps so they're both being replaced this winter. The rear shock will be a Hagon unit along with some progressive springs in the front.
Both tyres are looking a little worse for wear too, I don't tend to hang about on the bike so they've done quite well really.

Plans for the winter will be new sprockets and chain, suspension overhaul and respray in a battleship grey type colour (similar to Audi Nardo Grey).
I was umming and arring about selling this for an R6 or similar in the new year, but I can't get enough of the hornet just yet.

Thanks for reading, I'll keep this updated along the way.

Tom.

Last edited by Holdawayt on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:32 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Welcome in Tom :) apart from the road rash the bike looks to be in a very nice condition, will look forward to your updates.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:01 am 
Hornet Baby

Biggabit wrote:
Welcome in Tom :) apart from the road rash the bike looks to be in a very nice condition, will look forward to your updates.

Cheers :)
Ignoring the road rash you're right the bike is incredibly clean. It's lived indoors for most of its life and until me it had never seen rain. Personally, I don't see much point in that, it's a machine that should be used properly so bits and bobs will need attention soon but hey ho.
The stator cover I bought was a second hand item and was pretty tatty so I'll be replacing that with a new one from David Silver soon. Also just bought some Hagon progressive fork springs and oil.
After looking on here it seems the progressive springs may not be the way to go and maybe Ohlins linear springs would've been better for my style of riding but we'll see. Anything is better than the saggy mess it is currently.

Tom.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:57 am 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Looks an easy enough project for the money, should be a good bike once finished. Keep us posted :D

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:53 am 
Hornet Baby

Since the last update I've been a bit busy.

Firstly I replaced the rear shock with a Hagon item and changed the fork springs for their progressive springs and some 10w oil. This completely changed the feel of the bike.
I then took the bike to Rockingham for my first track day. It went far better than expected despite being very wet and the Hornet behaved as expected.
I was surprised how well it kept up with far faster machines (on paper). I stuck some SBS Sintered brake pads in and changed the rear tyre for a Michelin Pilot which did the trick.

After that I decided it's due a winter tart up. I've ridden it for a year now without doing too much so this is currently how it stands (note how clean everything is, I just wiped it with a cloth - excellent condition for the age).

Plans are as follows:
Replace the chain and sprocket with a 14 / 45 set up from Jester's trick bits
Braided brake lines all round
New crash bobbins
Full service
Replace the stator cover with a new one as it lets the engine down slightly
Change the colour of the bike - colour to be confirmed.

Thanks for reading, hopefully I'll see some of you out on track soon.

Tom.

Last edited by Holdawayt on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:05 am 
True Horneteer

Excellent job - great looking Hornet - well done! :clap :D

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:44 am 
Hornet Baby

Well things have progressed more quickly than I had anticipated. I had a call on Christmas Eve to say the parts were painted so I wasted no time getting them back on.

I've also replaced the coolant with some fancy yellow Motul Motocool Expert coolant and changed the oil and filter with some Castrol Power 1 10w-40.

Next on the list will be braided brake lines and the sprocket and chain swap. I'll be going 14T front and 45T rear so it should accelerate like a stabbed rat.

Thanks for reading.

Tom.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:10 pm 
Hornet Baby

Passed its MOT today with flying colours.

Shame it's so wet out at the moment because I'm having to be quite steady on it but I can tell the 45 rear sprocket has made a nice difference already.
Front wheel pops up quite easily put it that way.

Braided brake lines from HEL have improved the braking no end, back end locks up very easily now which i'll need to keep an eye on.
All in all, I'm thrilled to have the bike back on the road. Few more bits and bobs to tidy up such as the forks, swingarm and stator cover but bit by bit it's getting there.

Tom.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:16 pm 
True Horneteer

Great - like the colour.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Build and Serious Modification Section