Hornet Pilot

Done a search and Mixx X cone is highly regarded

i have also seen Delkevic, SP Engineering, Scorpion

any others?

budget is around £200

(2004 Hornet)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm 
Hornet Lord

There was a bulgarian bloke on the sales page with a decent looking one.

Seen a few end cans on ebay as well that you can custom fit with a custom link pipe.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:07 pm 
Hornet Warrior

ixyl hyperlow.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:36 pm 
Hornet Pilot

bluewatch02 wrote:
ixyl hyperlow.

Not available for 2004 model

Thanks though

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:56 pm 
Hornet Pilot

any more suggestions?

i think its between Fuel and Delkevic

Fuel have lifetime warranty and have a discount code on here

Delkevic seem to be very big in the States and here too, but only 12 months warranty and are made by DK Motorcycles ive read?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:31 am 

I like my GPR Deeptone.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 am 
Hornet Pilot

PMDMN wrote:
I like my GPR Deeptone.

Thanks, been on their website and seem to lack any details ie size of can etc etc

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:48 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Well after much thought, i have gone for a Fuel Exhaust:

http://www.fuelexhausts.com/exhausts/cl ... et-2003-06

Bike: CB600 Hornet F3-F6 (2003-06)

Range: Classic Exhaust Range

Shape: Oval

Finish: Polished Stainless

Length: 350mm (Mini)

worked out at £171 inc club 5% discount and free 5-7 days delivery

will post pics when its been fitted.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:22 am 
Hornet Lord

That's a good price :)
The Hornet is so quiet as standard I am sure it will be an improvement.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:04 am 
Hornet Pilot

bud wrote:
That's a good price :)
The Hornet is so quiet as standard I am sure it will be an improvement.

Yep. Especially with lifetime warranty aswell.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:22 am 
Needs to get out more!

Nice choice.

I'm up for a new can for my 1998 Hornet and have also been looking at Fuel - haven't checked any others out yet - but Fuel was my first port of call seeing as they seem pretty good on all counts e.g. price/quality/design etc.

Louder cans are definitely safer in my opinion - it's maybe an old chestnut but I'm gonna post a thread to get other people's take on it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:45 pm 
Hornet Pilot

HOON98 wrote:
Nice choice.

I'm up for a new can for my 1998 Hornet and have also been looking at Fuel - haven't checked any others out yet - but Fuel was my first port of call seeing as they seem pretty good on all counts e.g. price/quality/design etc.

Louder cans are definitely safer in my opinion - it's maybe an old chestnut but I'm gonna post a thread to get other people's take on it.

Il Let you know how it is mate.

Currently got a danmoto exhaust, its loud at 110db at 6500 rpm. But there is no note to the sound. It's just loud

Hoping the fuel has a better sound :)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:03 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Thanks - sometimes people post up youtube videos of their cans running so that you can get a rough idea of the sound.

Yeah - my Beowulf can on my ZX7R was just loud - no charachter - (I wanted loud - but not that loud lol - it set off car alarms etc on a regular basis and it was just anti-socially too loud - still passed MOT's amazingly).

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:53 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I have this one:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/178164

My model is a 2000 - but this fits 98-06 models.

It sounds and looks great - I ride with no baffle and love it: quiet with the baffle in, not too obnoxious with it out.

I was looking for a can that filled the same space as the original - but with a nicer finish and less weight. I don't like the short designs on the hornets with high exhaust - they leave a horrible gap which looks awkward.

I've had it a year now and been very happy with it.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:03 pm 
Hornet Pilot

triumphantbike wrote:
I have this one:

It sounds and looks great - I ride with no baffle and love it: quiet with the baffle in, not too obnoxious with it out.

I was looking for a can that filled the same space as the original - but with a nicer finish and less weight. I don't like the short designs on the hornets with high exhaust - they leave a horrible gap which looks awkward.

I thought the link pipe was different on the 03+ hornets?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:40 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

triumphantbike wrote:
I have this one:

Have to say the price of those cans make me wince.. got a GP Carbon on mine which I'm more than happy with.

Each to their own I guess :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:31 am 
Needs to get out more!

Biggabit wrote:
triumphantbike wrote:
I have this one:

Have to say the price of those cans make me wince.. got a GP Carbon on mine which I'm more than happy with.

Hey Biggabit - being a bit of a tight git I was most gratified that you mentioned your Danamoto pipe - I checked out the price and was even more gratified :D

What's it like? No rejetting required etc? How is the sound? I'm looking for something that get's me noticed in traffic but not anti-socially/annoyingly loud.

Also is it MOT friendly?

Will I need to mention it to my insurance company as a 'performance enhancing product'*

I also like the small dimensions.

Thanks for any info :D

*Am I being paranoid about insurance companies and exhausts? :D

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:28 pm 
Hornet Pilot

HOON98 wrote:
Biggabit wrote:
triumphantbike wrote:
I have this one:

Hey Biggabit - being a bit of a tight git I was most gratified that you mentioned your Danamoto pipe - I checked out the price and was even more gratified :D

What's it like? No rejetting required etc? How is the sound? I'm looking for something that get's me noticed in traffic but not anti-socially/annoyingly loud.

Also is it MOT friendly?

Will I need to mention it to my insurance company as a 'performance enhancing product'*

I also like the small dimensions.

Thanks for any info :D

*Am I being paranoid about insurance companies and exhausts? :D

have a look here mate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHdKJDys4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNvJnwteXAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-66o19gr2oY

its the exact one i have which i am replacing for a Fuel Exhaust.

If the fuel is ok it may be on the for sale section this week :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:29 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Hey Hoon98, on tick over and lower revs the exhaust won't be a neighbour nuisance, but rev or open her up on the motorway and it is LOUD which is not a problem in my case as I always wear ear plugs making it tolerable, but without 'plugs' the noise soon becomes very intolerable and very tiring.

Have to do a fair bit of 'filtering' during my commute and the cagers definitely hear me approaching, this is evident by them moving over a little for me a couple of car lengths before I even reach them. (They're good like that around these parts)

I did purchase and install the DB killer that Damanoto sell and it does take the edge off it but not by much. Currently I'm running it without the baffle and it passed it's last MOT without it... but the tester did put 'Noisy Exhaust' as an advisory to cover his own :moon

The weight saving compared to stock is immense (it weighs nothing really) as for declaring it to your insurance, not sure what to advise.... I never did.

Lastly it has been well made and from good quality materials, mine has been used daily for over three years in all weathers and it still cleans up and looks as good as new.

Others may look more refined and pleasing to the eye but for me i just couldn't justify £300 + for an end-can on a 99 bike especially when you can get one for 80 odd quid.

Here's a couple more sound links for you, but it sounds better in real life (Cheers Bigup for the other links)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Thanks Biggabit - really appreciate the detailed reply - you have given me an excellent idea of what to expect - much appreciated! :Beer

Just one last thing - how does the bike run since you slipped the Danomoto on - e.g. tickover normal etc - everything feel ok?

Only reason I ask is that I heard about a guy who fitted a Delkevic to his CBR6 and noticed that the bike was lumpy on tickover etc - a dyno test showed the bike was running dangerously lean - so he had to fit a power commander to sort it out - so a bit of extra food for thought when assessing slip on cans.

Cheers mate.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Cheers for the links Bigup - i'll check em out.

From what i've heard the Fuel cans are excellent so you should be fine - let us know what you think of it! :D

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:34 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

HOON98 wrote:
Thanks Biggabit - really appreciate the detailed reply - you have given me an excellent idea of what to expect - much appreciated! :Beer

Just one last thing - how does the bike run since you slipped the Danomoto on - e.g. tickover normal etc - everything feel ok?

Only reason I ask is that I heard about a guy who fitted a Delkevic to his CBR6 and noticed that the bike was lumpy on tickover etc - a dyno test showed the bike was running dangerously lean - so he had to fit a power commander to sort it out - so a bit of extra food for thought when assessing slip on cans.

Cheers mate.

No worries man glad to be of help :)

With regards carburation, I bought the bike privately with the Danamoto already fitted, and was given the stock exhaust (which I've never used) loose in a box, so I'm afraid I can't comment if any mixture adjustments were made as I didn't think to ask at the time.

The bike does run very nicely through out the rev range and ticks over steady with or without the baffle in. I doubt it's been re jetted but can't be sure. Sorry. :angel

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 pm 
Hornet Pilot

arrived yesterday

:)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:14 am 
Hornet Pilot

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:46 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Thanks Biggabit - will definitely consider the Danomoto zorst :D

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:49 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Fuel can looks great Bigup.

How does it sound?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:54 pm 
Hornet Pilot

HOON98 wrote:
Fuel can looks great Bigup.

How does it sound?

lovely, has a nice burble to it, it measured 105db at 6500rpm with baffle out

the Danmoto measured 110db at 6500rpm

i think its perfect :)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:15 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Excellent.

Yeah - the Fuel cans have a good reputation :D

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Looking to get the DanMoto GP Carbon for the 2007, so thanks for the info/pron :)

I do have a semi related question; Does the cat converter on a 2007 affect the exhaust sound, as in most vids I see are with the 2006 or earlier hornets. Just worried I'll clip the new exhaust on, and it sounds the same.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:59 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Harlin wrote:
Looking to get the DanMoto GP Carbon for the 2007, so thanks for the info/pron :)

I do have a semi related question; Does the cat converter on a 2007 affect the exhaust sound, as in most vids I see are with the 2006 or earlier hornets. Just worried I'll clip the new exhaust on, and it sounds the same.

The cat on the 2007 is very restrictive & doesnt sound much different with the end can off lol
If you want to make it louder then either chop the cat out & a piece welded in or remove the complete exhaust & get a set of arrow collectors on & an end can of your choice as Drelambos just done but still waiting for him to upload a video of the transformation 8o

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:02 am 
Hornet Pilot

pgtips wrote:
Harlin wrote:

The cat on the 2007 is very restrictive & doesnt sound much different with the end can off lol
If you want to make it louder then either chop the cat out & a piece welded in or remove the complete exhaust & get a set of arrow collectors on & an end can of your choice as Drelambos just done but still waiting for him to upload a video of the transformation 8o

That's about £800 for downpipes and exhaust, not economical for a 2007 hornet ;p

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:23 am 
Hornet Warrior

Harlin wrote:
pgtips wrote:
Harlin wrote:

That's about £800 for downpipes and exhaust, not economical for a 2007 hornet ;p

You can get a brand new set of arrow headers for less than £380 for the 2007 hornet, not sure about price of the end can you're refering but doubt its £420 lol & can always remove the pipe to sell & return to stock when you eventually sell it like most people do 8o

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 pm 
Hornet Baby

Really sorry for hijacking the thread, but i have similar question.

My Ride: Honda 599, 2006, Black (USA) [I guess CB600 2005 is the same as 599 2006?]

I am really really torn between two exhausts.
1. Mivv X-Cone
2. Socrpion (EHA80SEO -- https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/honda-cb-600-hornet-2003-2006-factory-oval-slip-on-factory-oval-stainless-steel)

I can't explain to anyone what i want, but i will try.

Loudness is NOT what i am looking for. I want GRUNT. BASS. THICK BASS. Something which has the power to movie your heart, or tickle your man parts. The likes of a V8 or a V12 Mercedes/Cadillac engine. Silly to even think of getting such a grunt from a puny Straight-4 Motorcycle, but you get what I am trying to say?

Have seen TOO many videos that i am confused. So confused. X-Cone feels louder, but Scorpion feels to have that thick bass. But then again, YouTube videos can only show you so much sound difference (especially when they're recorded from a mobile camera mostly).

Can anyone please give their opinion? It's been 3 months i am in same dilemma but can't figure it out. Can't ask anyone in UAE (where i live currently) because NO ONE here has a CB600 hornet (people aren't into Naked bikes here, usually -- or maybe i have an odd retro choice).

Please help :(

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:52 am 
Hornet Pilot

I've bought the x-cone. And I would say i love it. Every aspect of it. The looks, the sound. I find the sound to be great over all rpms. It's low bass from idle says "i have what it takes" and runing it too the readline it screams with confidence. By all means, it's loud. But I am on a "loud pipes save lifes" side. :) And it gives me the thrill i guess you are looking for. Without the db killer it kills - makes you want more - I would call it provocative. You turn the throttle a bit and the sound makes you want to open even more. You can alway shove in the db killer and it backs off with all that, keeping the sound lower and and not so pronounced.

Once again, I love it. :)

temp img upload

Last edited by Xmixerx on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:58 am 
Needs to get out more!

Beowulf cans are pretty well known for their deep base tones - see if there are any youtube videos with Beowulf equipped Hornets to get an idea of the sound.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 am 
Hornet Baby

HOON98 wrote:
Beowulf cans are pretty well known for their deep base tones - see if there are any youtube videos with Beowulf equipped Hornets to get an idea of the sound.

I have been checking a lot of videos recently.

Use headphones for below:
This Fuel Slash has really amazed me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvYRFvT1U0
This Scorpion feels cleaner and thicker but noticeably less louder (or so i feel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huYbYrDJsZQ
This WexT:

Also, this one i can't find anywhere, but at least looks cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rEB2XraY5w

Not sure what modifications i need for a twin exhaust setup, but i really want that also.

Most of the Beowulf exhausts i have heard only have bass. I couldn't hear any lively engine strokes or grunt in them :S Might be just me, though.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:21 pm 
Hornet Baby

Oh i so hate myself for not being able to make a decision.

Please help me finalize.

FUEL SLASH or SCORPION ??

One of cheaper but scorpion looks cooler.

I like the sound of both. Which one would you buy?

I am inclined towards Scorpion but it's like double the price of Fuel.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.riley.9 ... 7591900931

If the link works that's mine with a Fuel carbon round slash, baffle fitted for at the time of video.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:55 pm 
Hornet Lord

Black widow exhausts have videos on facebook and have featured hornets too. I have one and it is nice with the baffle and mad without. Not a v8 tingle but adequate for the cash.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:08 pm 
Hornet Lord

I have a black widow one on mine that nice and deep. I ride without the baffle in though. Plus its only like £150 compared to the £200+ of others.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Mechanical & Electrical