Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Mechanical & Electrical

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:05 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Hi, guys. So after a long consideration between PC36 and and PC41 I’ve bought the older one. The one with USD forks. I guess I just prefer the design of PC36 over PC41. Anyways, I have some plans on it during winter and one of the jobs is fork rebuild. As I’ve done it on my previous PC34, I’ve had no issues and everything went fluently withiut any special tools. However, when studying the service manual for PC36’s USD forks rebuild I’ve noticed that there are more special tools needed for the job which I don't have. In particular I am talking about spring collar holder and damping rod holder. So my question in general is if there is anyone here that has done the job by themselves? Any advices? Any hints? Any secret ways to avoid those special tools using the casual ones?

I really want to do this by myself. Not because of money, but because at least on my bike’s topic I strictly believe in a “if you want a job to be done the rigjt way, do it yourself” saying. So your help here would be appreciated. If I will need, I will buy those damned tools, but I am somehow confident that there is a way to work around them. :)

Cheers.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:52 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Anyone? Guys?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 am 

Xmixerx wrote:
Anyone? Guys?

Its realllllly slow here.

I can't help you with the USD forks as I have the older model (2004). It pays to have the right tools; do you know where to get them?

Are you planning on making any mods?

Jerry

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:29 pm 
Victor Meldrew

In the November 2018 edition of Classic Motorcycle Mechanics there is a fairly detailed article about rebuilding some Suzuki GSXR USD forks.

Apart from fork seal drivers, oil level gauge and a plastic spanner to avoid damage to the fork top nuts, the only special tools mentioned were a fork spring compressor and 'damper rod holding plate', whatever that is. Article said that if two pairs of hands were needed, compressor not required, and that generic, not factory, tools worked OK.

https://bikerstoolbox.co.uk/acatalog/suspension_tools.html

Article is confusingly entitled.

"KAWASAKI Z1325 - Ralph Ferrand finishes the forks."

You missed the starting gun

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Mechanical & Electrical