Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Mechanical & Electrical

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 am 

Been having this problem for a while now. Local bikes mechanic (LBM) who I and mates have used for a while, has had a look but even he's baffled.

The first time it happened was at home fortunately. Red 'FI' light came on so that was perhaps a clue. However, when LBM looked it all was fine again. Second time I was out, stopped to look at directions, then wouldn't start. No 'FI' light this time. Had to be collected. Again, LBM couldn't find a fault. Plugged in diagnostics and tested battery and all ok. Tried it last night and started ok but nothing this morning!

When I turn ignition on the rev counter needle goes round as normal. When I press the starter button bike makes a buzzing noise - yes, I know, it's a Hornet - but doesn't turn over and rev counter needle goes round again.

It doesn't turn the engine over. Lights and horn all work, so probably not the battery. Starter motor maybe? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? It's driving me mad!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

When you stopped did you use the side stand?

Might be worth checking the side stand switch isn't faulty / dirty.

Does it start with clutch lever pulled in?

Mind you the 'buzz' noise would indicate something's trying to happen... so probably an earth issue preventing sufficient amperage to turn engine over.

Check battery earth/ starter earth.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:46 pm 

Cheers for your reply.

Nope, still won't start. In fact, the second time it happened I was sat on the bike with the sidestand up.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:19 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Your welcome

The issue with a faulty side stand switch is that 'when up' the bike still see's it as being down so won't start...this can also manifest whilst it's up and riding. I believe there is a thread on here where a misfire/poor running condition was attributed and resolved due to the side stand switch ( basically vibration was causing a very rapid on/off engine situation)

Though in gear with the side stand down (or the bike persieving it being down) and clutch lever pulled in the bike should start. I believe that's what the clutch lever switch is for.

Probably not the case with yours but worth eliminating if all else is good. Batery charge, earth and live connections engine stop switch/fuse ect...

Has yours an alarm/Imobilzer fitted? Apparently they can cause problems .

P.s. Might be worth cycling the engine stop switch a few times... In case the problem lies there.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:11 pm 

Hello!

These symptoms are similar to what is happening to my bike.
Its not a problem all the time, but its big problem when it happens.

After some trial and error i found that if I pinch the starter switch unit together (or tightening the screws..?) when pushing the starter button it starts right up!

Luckily for me this fixed my problem.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Mechanical & Electrical