Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Consumables

Post subject: Gecko Rearsets
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:35 am 
Hornet Lord

I'm after a set of rearsets for my 98 and spotted these Italian ones - they look pretty good.

I'm aware of SES and Danmoto plus the very expensive Gilles rearsets but I like the look of the Geckos.

I did a search to see if anyone else has any experience of them but nothing came up.

http://www.geckoracing.it/en/pedane-regolabili/honda/honda-hornet-600,-900-1998-2006-shop-on-line.html

Post subject: Re: Gecko Rearsets
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 pm 
Hornet Baby

Never heard of that brand but I must admit they do look good with a great price also. Not so keen on the pillion extentions but I'd pick them up for MOT day only.
Will have to consider these myself

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:37 pm 
Hornet Lord

Depeche wrote:
Never heard of that brand but I must admit they do look good with a great price also. Not so keen on the pillion extentions but I'd pick them up for MOT day only.
Will have to consider these myself

Yeah - I'm gonna do some digging and see if I can get any reviews from any other non-Hornet bike forums to get an idea of the general quality and fit of Gecko rearsets - I'll report back on my findings - at the moment it's either these or the SES ones.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 pm 
Hornet Lord

I partly understand why they're so expensive but they all seem way too expensive.

Is there any reason you can't just make a plate each side with lots of holes that go in between the existing rearsets and the mounting holes? Just curiosity really.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:27 pm 
Hornet Lord

anz243k wrote:
I partly understand why they're so expensive but they all seem way too expensive.

Is there any reason you can't just make a plate each side with lots of holes that go in between the existing rearsets and the mounting holes? Just curiosity really.

Yeah - know what you mean - I thought the Danmotos would be significanty cheaper but the price is not that far off the SES rearsets.

Fabbing rearsets? - yeah - I haven't looked into it before but I expect a lot of home bike builders do it - as you say - fab some plates up out of thick aluminium plate, drill the holes for the mounting points and components, fit some after market metal pegs and then transfer over the existing levers - it's worth looking into if it's relatively straightforward, saves enough quids and the results are acceptable :D

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:45 am 
Hornet Lord

I was thinking even simpler...just stick the adapter plate inbetween the stock footpeg "plate" and the bike. That way all you really need is some thick Al. Levers might need a bit of fettling to get them to reach...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:30 am 
Hornet Lord

I've got a 98 model - not sure how that would work?

I'm fitting a single seat tail unit - so I won't be needing the pillion rearset extension/pegs - if I was to diy the rear set all I'd need was a single plate to fix the pegs/levers onto - I haven't looked at it properly so not entirely sure.

To be honest after having a look at DIY rear sets I've come to the conclusion that buying a professionally designed and constructed set is going to save a lot of trouble and time and will also look and work a lot better - so it's worth the extra cost.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:04 pm 
Hornet Lord

Since you're fitting a single seat, proper rearsets make sense.

I'd be keeping the stock seat and so would need rear footpegs.

Think the confusion came from me saying footpeg rather than rearset.
So you take the whole rearset off (unbolt from the side plates that the swing arm bolts to), bolt the adapter plate to where the rearset/footrest hanger bolts to. Then you bolt the rearset/footrest hanger to the adapter plate. This would allow you to mount the rearset at different angles and heights. This might mean pissing about with the brake and gear levers and the rear brake cyclinder but i'd need to look at the bike to see how much.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:05 pm 
Hornet Lord

Ah right - I see what you mean :)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:28 am 

Was browsing through.. My 600 's from 2000 and would like to do the same single seat, but still getting ideas, can you post the link to what you're planning or have done?

Thanks
Steve

2004 BMW F650GS

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Consumables