Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Consumables

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Its time to change my chain and sprockets for first time. I did some research about the variants: number of tooths, links and their ratios. Weights!

First part. Tooths:
My PC41 hornet has originally 118 link chain, 43t rear/16t front sprockets. 525 pitch. I tried this calculator http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/
If i change only the front sprocket to -1 (15 tooths) it gains +6.3% in torque (-6.3%) which sound very good and the chain remains the same - 118 links.
Pros:
  • More torque
  • Faster acceleration
Cons:
  • Lower max speed
  • Higher fuel consumption
  • Wrong speedometer readings
So, the pros are clear. Everyone wants more torque/acc just replacing the front sprocket with -1 one.
Im not sure about the cons. I dont care about the max speed(i rarely ride on tracks) but i dont know what is the exact impact on the fuel cons/speedometer?

Second part. Pitch and material:
I read that i can feel the difference by only replacing the chain from 525 to 520. The sprockets can remain OEM or change them with aluminum which cuts the weight alot. Is it true?

If anyone already had some of the modifications/experience about the listed above please give me advices. I searched over the topics here but didnt find anything comprehensive.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:48 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I'm sure this actually increases the top speed of the Hornet 600, as the Hornet cannot currently pull to redline in 6th gear!

But yep, fuel consumption would be reduced, I'm not sure to what extent though!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:09 pm 
Hornet Pilot

The max speed decreases: http://www.gearingcommander.com/ load the CB600 07-08 profile.
On 6th gear:
16t front: 224.1 km/h
15t front: 210.1 km/h

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:12 pm 
Knob Magnet

thats on a database!! not the real world 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:19 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Firehand wrote:
The max speed decreases: http://www.gearingcommander.com/ load the CB600 07-08 profile.
On 6th gear:
16t front: 224.1 km/h
15t front: 210.1 km/h

Changing the sprockets is quite a common mod (and is recommended as a cheap way to vastly improve the performance of the hornet), members experience tends to be that you get an increase in top speed by gearing down. To get to top speed in standard sizes you actually have to be in 5th gear!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:34 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Thanks for made it clear to me guys :) I am really not interested in the max speed as i ride mostly in the traffic. I am thinking on something like combination of -1 front + 520 chain + alloy sprockets. Do you thing that it will be noticeable enough? Does the aluminum sprocket wear off alot faster than a normal one?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

usual mod is to go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket plus up three on the rear sprocket. This will give you the acceleration that the Hornet lacks with very little loss of usable high speed. At the end of the day, how often do you ever ride your Hornet to the maximum attainable top speed anyway? It's a naked bike which can get a little uncomfortable at high speed!
Yes, it does affect the fuel consumption, so if you're the kind of person who needs to worry about fuel costs, then don't do it.
Yes, it will put your speedo reading out, but it does it the right way, and not to any greatly dramatic effect.
Alloy sprockets wear quicker than steel ones, and are usually quite a lot noisier

And yes, I ran a Hornet on 14/45 ( as opposed to the standard '98 on 15/42) sprockets for 14 years and loved it!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:07 am 
Hornet Pilot

Thanks LittleInsect! You explained everything im asking about :) -1/+3 will be too much for me i think. Especially between traffic lights where the rapid gear changing will be annoying. The max speed is the least significant factor because i rarely use more than 150km/h.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:15 am 
Hornet Pilot

As im planning to replace the chain and sprocket on my own I read that the quality of the cutting/riveting tool is viral. Could you guys share your experiences with such a tool. Some good and not expensive :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:56 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Anyone guys? Please. I dont wanna ruin my new chain with some chinese tool :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:18 pm 
Knob Magnet

I dont use any chain tools, i cut the old chain with a grinder or dremil and rivet the new link by hand 8o :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:13 pm 
Hornet Pilot

By hand? 8o you mean with hammer and some steel pin?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:34 pm 
Knob Magnet

Firehand wrote:
By hand? 8o you mean with hammer and some steel pin?

yes with a hammer and a center punch :)

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:42 pm 
Hornet Baby

Good, but not that cheap. You'll never need to buy another one though.
http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co. ... wgodunkA4w

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:48 pm 
Hornet Pilot

I replaced the sprockets and the chain today. DID525VX GOLD and 2xAFAM sprockets (-1 front). A few questions bother me.
The master link which I riveted is probably a little overstressed because its not as flexible as the others.
I realised that the chain is longer now because of the smaller front sprocket. May be I should have removed one link.

What do you guys think? Do I have to buy a new master link and start it again?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:13 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Flex the chain side to side (ie, not the way it normally bends, I hope that makes sense) to loosen up that link, its not problem as long as the link is secure it will loosen itself up.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:56 am 
Hornet Pilot

I bought a new master link. The chain is too long and is now on the "Replace chain" marker. This time I will try to not overtighten it.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:36 am 

LittleInsect wrote:
usual mod is to go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket plus up three on the rear sprocket. This will give you the acceleration that the Hornet lacks with very little loss of usable high speed. At the end of the day, how often do you ever ride your Hornet to the maximum attainable top speed anyway? It's a naked bike which can get a little uncomfortable at high speed!
Yes, it does affect the fuel consumption, so if you're the kind of person who needs to worry about fuel costs, then don't do it.
Yes, it will put your speedo reading out, but it does it the right way, and not to any greatly dramatic effect.
Alloy sprockets wear quicker than steel ones, and are usually quite a lot noisier

And yes, I ran a Hornet on 14/45 ( as opposed to the standard '98 on 15/42) sprockets for 14 years and loved it!

What do you mean it puts the speedo out the right way?
How much top speed are you losing?

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » Consumables