Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 900/919 » General chat

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:37 pm 
Johnny English

Well it seems my coolant leak is coming from the small "weep hole" at the back of the water pump, 8o

I am thinking this is a now useless !!! as the you cant get at the internal seal , only the oil seal and cover seal are serviceable and a complete new replacement water pump is now required.

water pump = £200 from Honda :Bang :Bang :cry :cry

I may try Ebay ?

Unless someone knows a repair method. ?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:39 pm 
Knob Magnet

had a play with one of mine mate, unfortunately it is a non repair item :Bang

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:38 am 
Johnny English

cheers steve, thought as much :cry

thing is you buy the top cover separate , but not the main body !!

oh well , out with the credit card 8o

I guess is not advisable to ride it like that either , as it could let go at moment ? what ya think ?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:06 am 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Once a water pump starts leaking it will only get worse, thats not to say you cant use it but you will just have to be carefull If you do. Its true they do run cold but if it dumps the coolant it will look on the temp gauge as its not warming up because you need fluid for the temp sender to work correctly.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:08 am 
Johnny English

cheers Daryl ,

I need one trip out of it , a 40 mile trip , to work and pick up a new water pump on way home !!

What you think ? has it got 40 miles left in it ? it drips 1 drop every hour !!!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:11 am 
Knob Magnet

if it is leaking when cold, with NO pressure in the system, then it will leak a whole lot more
when hot and under pressure!!
you might be able to do a 40 mile trip, but i would carry some spare coolant with you and check
it as you go 8o

370Steve

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:54 am 
Johnny English

Yeah good point steve , cheers mate,,,,, I am going to take it for a little run now , not too far from home !!

Its a pain, as my work , ( you know who steve ) doesn't allow me to park my car on site , and I so much don't want to take the train :Bang

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:24 am 

If its one drip every hour then i would risk it, just keep eye on gauge and as Steve says carry a bit of water just in case you need to top up.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:48 pm 
Johnny English

woodyeee wrote:
If its one drip every hour then i would risk it, just keep eye on gauge and as Steve says carry a bit of water just in case you need to top up.

Cheers Daryl,

Just been for a 10 mile run , all was good , no noticeable loss of coolant while riding , and on tick over back at home hardly any leakage atall

I would say its almost stopped 8o very odd ,, I will ride to work tomorrow , finish early and pick up a new pump still, its not worth risking !!

Odd thing is , I have been reading up on coolant types , I replaced my coolant with the Halfords silicate free advance 5 year concentrate stuff about 18 months ago , which is a OAT based coolant ( silicate free) , now I notice motorcycle stuff , Honda along with the rest , Silkolene etc , all use propylene glycol.

There are also a few reports of Honda bike water pumps seals failing around a year of the OEM coolant being changed !!!

I think I will re-fill with proper bike coolant when I fit the new water pump !!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:21 pm 

Just as a thought it might not leak when warm due to thermal expansion.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 pm 
Johnny English

still no leaks 8o :angel

I am hoping there was some sort of obstruction particle stuck in the internal seal and its been grounded out now :angel

So rather than go pay out £200 ,, first i am going to buy the correct stuff, " Honda type 2" coolant tomorrow from my Honda car dealership , drain and fully flush the old Halfords stuff out.

One thing i did notice when i removed the water pump cover was there was some coolant crystallisation around the rubber seal, apparently this is what gets caught up in the seals and can cause leaks . 8o

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 pm 
Johnny English

update,,,

So today I decided to change the coolant ,, as I was not happy with the Halfords coolant after seeing the crap around the old rubber seal, and reading about some OAT crystalising up !!

I also decided to remove the water pump for a proper inspection this time , so had to remove the 4th back hose also ( not needed to remove if only draining)

As I undone the jube clip , and I started to pull the hose off and it was crunching 8o 8o , finally I pulled it off and all this crusty shite fell away , it was also coated on the water pump connection end ,,, and on the inside of the pipe, my conclusion coolant crystallization !! this built up and caused my minor leak :Bang

Pump now fully removed , I inspected it , looked through the weep hole and all looked fine and dry :angel , you can actually see the rubber seal in there , I decided to use some red rubber grease in there, ( god I love that stuff) not a lot , just a few dabs on the end of a bit of small cable tie enough to coat and protect the seal , :angel

Oh word of warning tilt bike over slightly when removing water pump or you will lose oil !!!

So all off I then blasted a hose pipe through every orifice possible , flushing out the old coolant fully , then blowing down the pipes to push out the water, and removing the coolant res and flushing,

Refitted pump connected hoses with a smear of red rubber grease , did I mention I love that stuff ?

Then topped up with the proper HONDA stuff !!!

5ltrs for £19 direct from my local Honda car dealer !! so not as much as you think !!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:01 pm 
Johnny English

Bike is also running abit cooler with the Honda coolant in , than it did with the Halfshite in !"!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:59 pm 

Paul - is the Honda car stuff ok to use in bikes ? Their formula might be different but I had read that Car coolant might not suitable due to its composition ?

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:55 pm 
Hornet Lord

Yes it is, the Pro2 stuff is the way to go.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:35 am 
Johnny English

sovrec wrote:
Paul - is the Honda car stuff ok to use in bikes ? Their formula might be different but I had read that Car coolant might not suitable due to its composition ?

Sov, thanks for your concerns , yes your right car coolant is wrong for bikes especially Honda due the water pump design, this was my previous mistake with the Halfords crap , but not in the case of Honda car coolant, I have checked and double checked, and on the bottom of the container is shows a picture of a car , bike and a atv , also David silver sell the same stuff , ( £30 for 5 ltrs )

So a tip here for all is , buy your Honda bike coolant from a car dealer ,its the exact same and its cheaper !!!!

fv08 wrote:
Yes it is, the Pro2 stuff is the way to go.

:) :hb

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:58 pm 

After coming across this post decided to change the coolant to the type 2 pro Honda variety. Yes Id had the the couple drips from the water pump area. Did make me smile when I walked into the local Honda car main dealer and enquired about 5 litres of said coolant. The colour drained from me when he said thatll be £50 please sir!.. I then mentioned that online this same dealer (different branch) was selling it for £19.90 + post. Amazingly within seconds it suddenly became £19.90 inc vat. Anyway fresh coolant now filled and yes does seem to run that bit cooler and noticeably longer before the fan kicks in. Thanks for the heads up with regards to this product.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm 
Hornet Toddler

Another reason to change the coolant per the maintenance schedule.......

Same with brake fluid - and all the other "stuff"

Too many people skip the maintenance, this thread is a great example of why that is so important!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:57 pm 
Johnny English

This thread is more about using the correct Honda coolant, rather than lack of maintenance.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:48 pm 

paulh0rnet wrote:
This thread is more about using the correct Honda coolant, rather than lack of maintenance.

Indeed.. I am a stickler for maintenance. I do tend to change bikes quite often and If Id owned the 900 for longer, yes I could have quoted the brand and also how many times and how often the coolant had been been changed. Unless you have owned the bike from new, (which I havnt) the stamps in the service book cant always guarantee the work has been carried out to yours and indeed Honda's schedule.

Board index » Hornet 900/919 » General chat